ideas for a chatter device

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by joulian, Jul 28, 2014.

1. joulian

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 27, 2009
    I am needing some ideas on how to build a very simple, inexpensive repeating relay controlled device that perhaps have a knob so i can control the number of signals I send down the line. I am trying to locate an irrigation valve.
    They make a chatter device called the Station Master 24b. This is for my personal yard where I have forgotten where the heck the valve is grass has obviously consumed it...not spending the money on something I might use one time.

These valves are 24v.

I am needing to send a signal down the wire to the valve that is leaking so i can hear it clicking on/off under the grass.

Any ideas? There is a 24v common wire in the control box I ll be using for a source then I have to put the chatter signal wire on the valve that is ' wire to send a signal down to it.

2. PaulEE

Dec 23, 2011
    So, you want to turn a relay on...then off...then on...or what? Not quite sure what you're after, but I think that's it...

3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    There was just another thread on this subject, of late, that didn't go very far.

It mentioned 24vac. which is good to know. And about 500ma.

Search ebay for repeat cycle timer for off the shelf solution.

For a 555 solution, could you run ac power to a wall wart for powering circuit (or battery)? That would save making a power supply.

A triac circuit might work from 24vac.

4. joulian

Aug 27, 2009
  5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Presumably 24V DC? Can it provide enough current to operate the valve? If so, a 555 timer and a power FET may be the basis for a simple pulser.

6. joulian

Aug 27, 2009
    I was thinking I could put three 9 volts in series or is it parallel ( been to long ago since I had Ac/Dc circuit in college ). I am sure thats what that 24b device does in video.

7. joulian

Aug 27, 2009
    Alec t....
    could you draw a simple schematic for me?

Its been 10 yrs since I took my electronic classes. I can read a schematic and soldier as far as the inventing part I am not good at it. YET! :)

8. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Little 9V batteries are pretty feeble. How much current does the valve need?

9. joulian

Aug 27, 2009
  10. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    A heavily slugged 24vdc relay might be a simple solution.
    ~ 1/2 sec pulses.

11. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    This may be more complex than I first thought.
    It's not clear to me, from the 24b's description/instructions, whether it generates its own 24VAC, or provides some other (DC?) voltage to the 'station wire'. It's also not clear whether the clock provides 24VAC to the station wires, or accepts 24VAC and generates control signals (perhaps at logic level).
    Can you provide a link to the datasheet/schematic for your controller?

12. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    .... in the meantime, here's how I think you could do this. The pulser circuit triac main terminals go in series with the 'station wire' to operate the valve with ~150mS bursts of 24VAC at ~1S intervals.

Edit: IMPORTANT. This circuit must NOT be connected to Common as per the 24b instructions.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  13. joulian

Aug 27, 2009
    hmmm ok let me look around , thanks for the drawing...

14. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    I did mine by pulsing an electromechanical relay that interrupted the valve common line. Turn the channel ON using the MANUAL mode to power the valve with the controller. The relay will interrupt the valve circuit without fouling anything else.

My first pulse control was my patient wife who just pressed a button repeatedly. The hot garage forced migrating to a 555 pulser. I found that 'having a hot wife' is not always a good thing :)

Worked for me.

15. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    All you need is a capacitor and relay.
    See post #10.

16. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    LOL :)

That's good to know. I was concerned that having the relay drop out possibly at an AC cycle current peak could result in a damaging voltage spike from the valve solenoid's inductance; hence my use of a triac (as Inwo suggested in post #3), which would switch off near a zero current point.

JohnInTX likes this.
  17. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    That's a reasonable concern. It worked OK in my case.

18. joulian

Aug 27, 2009
    thanks guys I am going to try tomorrow

19. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    For anyone else looking for a chatter device, I've been looking for a use for these oddball SSRs for some time.:D
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=92641

Now I see why a NC SSR might be useful.

This worked perfectly first try.

Just like the relay circuit but triac/scr (I think) output.