ideal current source in AC circuit

jas

Joined Jun 13, 2006
Hi, I have an exam in two days and I am stuck with the following problem:

When we apply the superposition theorem and we have 1 voltage source defined with a cosine funtion and 1 current source(ideal), do we have to leave only the resistors when we remove the voltage source? Could you explain in brief why the capacitors and the inductors are removed(if this is correct)?

Thanks.

aac

Joined Jun 13, 2005
Originally posted by jas@Jun 13 2006, 05:55 AM
Hi, I have an exam in two days and I am stuck with the following problem:

When we apply the superposition theorem and we have 1 voltage source defined with a cosine funtion and 1 current source(ideal), do we have to leave only the resistors when we remove the voltage source? Could you explain in brief why the capacitors and the inductors are removed(if this is correct)?

Thanks.
[post=17694]Quoted post[/post]​
I assuming the current source is DC because you think the inductors and capacitors can be removed. You could have an ideal AC current source When you say removed, this is OK for the capacitors. It might be better to say replaced the capacitors with an open circuit. The inductors are removed from the calculation, but this is done by replacing them by a short circuit. Replacing the capacitors with opens and inductors with shorts can be done because the voltages will only depend on the resistors, if the source is DC, after the transient dies out. I guess I'm also assuming you are looking for the steady state solution.

Good luck to you

jas

Joined Jun 13, 2006
Originally posted by aac@Jun 13 2006, 07:45 AM
I assuming the current source is DC because you think the inductors and capacitors can be removed. You could have an ideal AC current source When you say removed, this is OK for the capacitors. It might be better to say replaced the capacitors with an open circuit. The inductors are removed from the calculation, but this is done by replacing them by a short circuit. Replacing the capacitors with opens and inductors with shorts can be done because the voltages will only depend on the resistors, if the source is DC, after the transient dies out. I guess I'm also assuming you are looking for the steady state solution.

Good luck to you
[post=17695]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks very much, this was very helpful!