idea for a senior project related to renewable energy

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by lebtech, Jun 8, 2012.

1. lebtech

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    dear members, i would like to thank the owners of this forum for giving us students the opportunity to share our ideas and thoughts about topics related to electronics.

i would like to help me pick up few thoughts or ideas for a senior project related to renewable energy such as solar or wind power. im looking to get the first prize , so please show me the way to get a good idea to start with. thank you. kind regards.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I always thought a windmill tied to an automotive AC compressor would be neat a neat project.. Free AC would save the world ..mmuuuhhaaaaaa

3. NaeKid

Jun 8, 2012
    How extensive would you like to go? I have a few solar-systems in place at home now where I have combined panels with batteries in order to run secondary lighting in the house. My camping-trailer is also setup with panels to keep it charged-up for extended periods of time (currently sitting at 2 years of full-time-power) ...

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    +1 Everyone wants to make electricity, but actual shaft-work energy might be more efficient and more useful, such as for compressing coolant in an A/C. Old fashioned windmills on the farm were for pumping water, not making electricity. Unfortunately this would be more of a chem engineering project than an electrical one. You must have constraints/guidelines you haven't mentioned yet?

Here's a related idea: They used to sell air conditioners that used ammonia as a coolant (very endothermic when it dissolves in water) and burned natural gas (incredibly cheap right now) to regenerate the ammonia by heating the water solution. I always thought it would be neat to regenerate the ammonia with solar heat.

5. lebtech

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    solar power seniors are not so special. i was thinking of something new and no one would think about. remember that im looking to get the first prize.

6. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    spread thier ashes in the garden, completely renewable.

Ron H and #12 like this.
  7. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    sorry, I thought you meant 'Seniors'.

Ron H likes this.
  8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Energy harvesting from a solar panel.

We know that the voltage output from a PV solar panel is directly dependent on the amount of sunlight so how do you harvest the energy on a cloudy day?

Can you design a power harvester that can charge a 12V storage battery even when the voltage from the solar panel drops to 0.2V ?