idea for a senior project related to renewable energy

lebtech

Joined Jun 8, 2012
dear members, i would like to thank the owners of this forum for giving us students the opportunity to share our ideas and thoughts about topics related to electronics.

i would like to help me pick up few thoughts or ideas for a senior project related to renewable energy such as solar or wind power. im looking to get the first prize , so please show me the way to get a good idea to start with. thank you. kind regards.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I always thought a windmill tied to an automotive AC compressor would be neat a neat project.. Free AC would save the world ..mmuuuhhaaaaaa

NaeKid

Joined Jun 8, 2012
dear members, i would like to thank the owners of this forum for giving us students the opportunity to share our ideas and thoughts about topics related to electronics.

i would like to help me pick up few thoughts or ideas for a senior project related to renewable energy such as solar or wind power. im looking to get the first prize , so please show me the way to get a good idea to start with. thank you. kind regards.
How extensive would you like to go? I have a few solar-systems in place at home now where I have combined panels with batteries in order to run secondary lighting in the house. My camping-trailer is also setup with panels to keep it charged-up for extended periods of time (currently sitting at 2 years of full-time-power) ...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I always thought a windmill tied to an automotive AC compressor would be neat a neat project.. Free AC would save the world ..mmuuuhhaaaaaa
+1 Everyone wants to make electricity, but actual shaft-work energy might be more efficient and more useful, such as for compressing coolant in an A/C. Old fashioned windmills on the farm were for pumping water, not making electricity. Unfortunately this would be more of a chem engineering project than an electrical one. You must have constraints/guidelines you haven't mentioned yet?

Here's a related idea: They used to sell air conditioners that used ammonia as a coolant (very endothermic when it dissolves in water) and burned natural gas (incredibly cheap right now) to regenerate the ammonia by heating the water solution. I always thought it would be neat to regenerate the ammonia with solar heat.

lebtech

Joined Jun 8, 2012
solar power seniors are not so special. i was thinking of something new and no one would think about. remember that im looking to get the first prize.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Energy harvesting from a solar panel.

We know that the voltage output from a PV solar panel is directly dependent on the amount of sunlight so how do you harvest the energy on a cloudy day?

Can you design a power harvester that can charge a 12V storage battery even when the voltage from the solar panel drops to 0.2V ?