ID this Cap

SolderKid

Joined Jan 9, 2014
Hi all -- new here. Trying to ID this cap as I have been out of the circuit stuff for a long time:
.047k275v-x2 -- I am thinking 47uf 275 volts AC -- the cap goes across the voltage input relay on a sauna controller so i am thinking it is some type of suppression cap -- see attached pic.

Thanks in advance for any help given
Cheers, Patrick

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's either one or a pair of .047 uf caps at 275 volts peak, specifically rated to survive being connected to the power line. I bet it has 3 wires.

SolderKid

Joined Jan 9, 2014
Now that I know this is not 47uf -- but .047uf -- I found this cap at a local store that I did not see do to my value assumtion:

CAP FILM RDL .047UF 275V 20% 15L

Can someone confirm this is what I need -- I won't hold you to hit if it is wrong.
Tx, Patrick

Last edited:

SolderKid

Joined Jan 9, 2014
Was that the fault of the cap, or something adjacent to it?
If so you may want to move it and check out the heating?
Max.
The only other adjacent components are the resistor and relay -- they both look fine, the relay contacts need cleaning. I actually have new relays for it that I got sometime ago, I think I will do that, this is ten yrs old now so time to replace since I have them.

Looks like the cap will cost me 15$ for one locally as it is a warehoused item at Sayal or order 10 from ebay -- comes from china 5$ free shipping!!! Just got to wait 10 days.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
10 days if your are lucky!...I get next day delivery from DigiKey, and I am in Canada.
Even with shipping it would be cheaper than $15.00?
Max.

Athineos

Joined Dec 18, 2013
The capacitor you boght is the correct one i.e capacitance 0.047 μF working voltage 275V.I Think that you found where goes to (rear side: beside the red cable and beside resitor 2.2k R9.Clean up the circuit remaking also the destroed coper pads.
Good luck!

SolderKid

Joined Jan 9, 2014
I have order the caps -- thanks to all for the help. I am going to continue to lurk to see what else I can find to do hear -- might find some interesting projects to do.

Cheers,Patrick

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It is important to get a cap that matches the original "X2" rating. That is a safety spec that means the cap is safe to go directly across AC mains.

You can google "capacitor safety spec X2 rating" if you want more info. :)

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Now that I know this is not 47uf -- but .047uf -- I found this cap at a local store that I did not see do to my value assumtion:

CAP FILM RDL .047UF 275V 20% 15L

Can someone confirm this is what I need -- I won't hold you to hit if it is wrong.
Tx, Patrick
I don't see the X2 rating in your specs.

Have a similar problem today.
The X2 means it's built to survive across the line.
Mine didn't survive either.:(

I replaced it with 400vdc cap shown as I didn't have the correct X2.
This one is a .47 and the only X2's I have are .01.
I don't expect it to survive, and do not recommend it.

Attachments