icrease volt

sangpo

Joined Aug 17, 2013
The voltage from USB of computer is 5VDC. Is it possible to increase the volt using transistor? Please share ur knowledge with me. Thank you
sangpo

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

That would be possible if you use a Boost converter.
The output power of this converter will NEVER be more that in input power.
You will have to deal with the efficiency of the converter.

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When you are using an EXTERNAL powersupply, you can switch things with the higher voltage.
The USB port will NEVER give more than 5 Volts.

Bertus

sangpo

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Thank you bertus.

When you are using an EXTERNAL power-supply, you can switch things with the higher voltage.

Since Im very slow to understand things and new to electronic, Can you please elaborate above statements in simple ways . preferably with example. so that I understand.

Sorry for that.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

First of all, you can not switch anything directly from the USB port.
You will need some kind of interface, that communicates with the USB port.
The output of the interface might drive a trasistor.
The collector of the transistor may have a higher voltage as the USB powersupply.
If you want to switch , let's say , a 12 Volts relay, you will need a 12 Volts power-supply to power the relays.
The relays can be connected between the collector of he transistor and the +12 Volts of the power-supply.
The - of the power-supply needs to be connected to the - of the interface and emittorof the transistor.

Bertus

sangpo

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Thanks you Bertus. Now my doubt is cleared.

So booster converter is the only way that one can increase the 5VDC supply from USB port?

Thank you once more.
Sangpo

sangpo

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for throwing light. God blessed me for success in self learning electronic/throuh forum.

sangp[o