ICL 7107 digital voltmeter helps needed

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by williame.newtist, Jun 26, 2012.

1. williame.newtist

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Hello,

I'm building ICL 7107 digital voltmeter with 200mV full scale as Figure 12 (page 11) on http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn3082.pdf
    Here is the problem I'm facing:
    it shows random numbers, sometimes showing 1666, and it has no effects even when I try to calibrate by adjusting the potentiometer or shorting the inputs pins the values remain the same. Even the whole potentiometer is removed the value still stay there!
    I have read through the datasheet and couldn't find any possible defects of the components that might have caused this.:confused:
    I have tried to replace the 0.1 microfarad capacitor with 1 microfarad but the problem remains the same and I did check the connection trace.
    So, I was wondering if you have any idea? and Thanks in advance, that really means a lot to me. :)

William

2. Pich

Mar 11, 2008
    Make shure that all your common connected together. Do have a circuit you can share?

3. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Take a picture of your circuit board or breadboard. May be we can help you spot the problems.

Allen

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Those chips are easily blown up, I have a meter that uses them. I recall random numbers was the symptom of a blown IC.

5. rfredel

Jan 23, 2011
    Hello William,

I think also, that you have a dead IC.

These ICs are very sensitive to static electricity. :mad:

Normaly I don't care against static electricity to MOS-ICs, but after killing two of this voltmeter and counter ICs I really take care of proper handling and grounding during installation. :rolleyes:

Regards

Rainer

PS: Sorry, if my English is not so good.