Ic with a trigger and 4 outputs?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Shockmyselfsmart, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Shockmyselfsmart

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Do they make some thing like this? So it has 1 input and 4 outputs. The first time the trigger fires it fires #1 output only second time the trigger fires it fires the #2 output only so on so forth then repeat?

Sorry I know i'm asking a lot of questions but i am learning a lot off this site. I spend at least 1 hour a day with my bread board lol. I also printed the book of this site and am about half way threw it.

[​IMG]

2. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    if you want it on a single chip that can handle high frequency from the trigger source with either level or edge as trigger, then any mcirocontroller with a small program on it is a good choice.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    A 4017 5-stage Johnson counter can be wired to do what you wish. So can a 74xx4017.

A 4017 has 10 outputs that go high in sequence, from D0 through D9. If D4 is wired to the RESET input, only D0 through D3 will sequence each time there is a clock input.

4. Shockmyselfsmart

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    So I would have to dive into programing? So far the only thing i have read on it is http://www.amazon.com/Crash-Course-PC-Microcontroller-Technology/dp/0750697083 crash course in microcontrollers. What is a good book for beginners? What program language should I learn/is the easiest for beginners?

The book I have read introduced me to assembly language and a little bit of basic that is about it.

I will also look into the 4017

5. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
  6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    The 4017 would be the most straightforward solution to your need.

Learning microcontrollers such as PIC opens up entire new worlds of what is normally complex circuitry, but there is a steep learning curve, especially if you haven't worked with logic circuits or programming before.

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    See the attached for an example with a 4017 counter.

Note that the IC might power up with a random output high, but it will sequence correctly after at least 5 clocks occur.

Not shown are power (Vdd) and ground (Vss) connections to the 4017, nor a mandatory 0.1uF capacitor across the Vdd/Vss pins.