IC to apply power sequentially

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by pbhuter, Jun 26, 2015.

1. pbhuter

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I would like to apply power sequentially across 12 (or some other number) circuits as follows: 1, 2, 3...10, 11, 12, 11, 10...3, 2, 1, 2... continuously. Being able to control timing via a resistor or the like would be great. A basic circuit design would be appreciated along with discussion so that I can understand what is going on and modify as needed
  2. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Do you want all the circuits to sequentially come on and then sequentially go off?
    Does this continue indefinitely?
    Is the timing the same for all the outputs?
    Is this a Knight Rider type of sequence? If so there are many circuits and kits to do that.
  3. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    ...and what is the load? How much current at what voltage?

If the timing is the same for all outputs or is a multiple of some common value, a Knight Rider circuit will work, constructed with a minimum of 24 (2x12) outputs... If the timings are the same but can be expressed

Here is a Knight Rider circuit schematic from this site (Use the search function to look for "Knight Rider") The entire article can be found here. Search for "Figure 12.3" on the page...
    In your case, I'd remove the capacitors C2 through C10 (they are used for fading LEDs). The transistors and their associated resistors depend on YOUR load. R2 is a pot, and can be used to modify the overall timing of the circuit.

I'd definitely search for Knight Rider circuits and read through a few. They'll teach you about how they work.
    pbhuter likes this.
  4. pbhuter

Sep 17, 2012

Yes, on then off. It is actually firing the electromagnets of a linear motor, but lighting up light bulbs one after the other back and forth in a line is a good analogy. I am looking for "rapid fire", but if I could have some details on how to control timing - make it faster or slower as needed - that would be appreciated. I figure that kind of thing would be controlled with a resistor, but I may not be remembering my brief experience to electrical engineering and digital circuits...

Do you know where I could find one of these kits? RadioShack, probably? I can read a circuit diagram pretty well and build a breadboard circuit myself, so if you know of a circuit that will work, or the basics of a circuit to get me started, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
  5. pbhuter

Sep 17, 2012

Thank you.
  6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    What is this linear motor being used for? How fast is the time between states in the sequence? How much current does each electromagnet require?

Having an idea of the application in mind lets people make suggestions that are more relevant for your needs.
  7. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    For up to 16 steps might try an up- down counter( 4029 ) & 4 line to 1 of 16 outputs ( 4515 ). Seems like there was a project like this recently?? Also needs a clock ( 555 ) & drivers.