IC testers for TTL, CMOS, Op amps, etc

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
What is some good IC chips that have a large library for every TTL, CMOS, Op amps . etc. to test IC chips in circuit and out of circuit?

The Huntron doesn't have any library or compare to a known good IC chip. So I need to buy some IC testers to be able to have a library to compare to for troubleshooting circuit boards.

I use the Hutron to check the signatures of IC chips in circuit but I need an IC tester to test TTL, CMOS, Op amps etc to know if the IC chips are good or not.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is no such thing as an IC chip that has a library of other chips inside it.
You will just have to do as you said in your second sentence.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't even know if there are testers for individual chips. Making money of off such a device seems like a very unlikely proposition. For boards they have bed of nails testers, but you need advanced training just to program and run one of those monsters.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't even know if there are testers for individual chips.
I don't know if there are such testers available on a retail level. Individual chip testers were made in-house (where I worked) for incoming parts assessment. About half a dozen circuits were used for each part number in the purchase order. SamEricson will probably end up doing that.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
BK 570A , circuit IC tester
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/43/575A_datasheet-182467.pdf

Vizatek IC test
http://www.amazon.com/VIZATEK-VZ4-Portable-Digital-Tester/dp/B00BGA6LAG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430255861&sr=8-2&keywords=IC tester

Leaper-2
http://www.amazon.com/IC-Tester-Han..._sbs_hi_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R3TMZNJ14J29RG2XHK5

The only problem is that I have to remove the IC chips one by one to test the IC chip using these IC tests

The ECOMMS BUGTRAP Logic comparator model 2000C is really nice because you can use IC Test Clips and leave the IC chip in circuit

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't envy him having that responsibility. Bad parts that impede customer confidence will get you fired regardless of whose fault it was.

Wow $1,170.00 for the 575A I suppose it is worth it for some people. It never was for us.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
I have to unsolder the IC chips one by one and test them using a Leaper-2. I'm looking for something so i can test the In circuit using IC clips 8pin IC chips, 16pin IC chips, 24 Ic chips. etc

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have to unsolder the IC chips one by one and test them using a Leaper-2. I'm looking for something so i can test the In circuit using IC clips 8pin IC chips, 16pin IC chips, 24 Ic chips. etc
In circuit testing needs to be included in the design. For the majority of designs, it's not worth the bother.

When I worked on HP 3000 Series III computers, we were able to write machine language programs that exercised certain logic. We did this to supplement what the regular diagnostics checked.

HP made a logic comparator (HP 10529A) that allowed you to insert a personality module that emulated functionality of the chip you wanted to compare. You ran the chip in it's circuit as normal, but you clipped the comparator with the personality module for that chip. It compared the behavior of the chip in-circuit and flagged any differences. This may be the best fit you'll find for your needs. But it can only test up to 16 pin logic chips.

Here's a URL for the manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAB&url=http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-test-equipment/10529A-Year1973-Manual.pdf&ei=gANAVem2M8zooATzwYGYDA&usg=AFQjCNGSV7v0KjMM1Ot36HoltjcyW9Fr6g&sig2=f5XFLaRtbV3MdNFgSIpbjw&bvm=bv.91665533,d.cGU

Theory of operation starts on page 14.

I have one, but haven't used it. I've been meaning to make some boards so I don't have to use the expensive ones that came with it.

Last edited:

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Is it best to disconnect the clock and use a external function generator at a very slow clock speed?

How can you single step a logic circuit? I know some logic circuits have a test mode in the diagnostics mode

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Logic state indicator and pulsers probes were very popular a few years back.

More recently I saw a multimeter with the facility.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/extra-functions-on-multimeter.106159/

I also recently bought, but never received a TTL/CMOS chip tester module from HongKong.
This was the first time supply has let me down from Asia and I haven't dared order another since they allegedly sent a replacement that didn't arrive either.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is it best to disconnect the clock and use a external function generator at a very slow clock speed?
Yes, otherwise the LEDs on the HP548A will probably flash too quickly.
How can you single step a logic circuit? I know some logic circuits have a test mode in the diagnostics mode
For the example I gave regarding HP 3000, I was working in the factory that assembled them. We (and Field Service) had something called a "Maintenance Panel" that connected through an aux port and allowed us to single step the computer. Any complex equipment will have test capability built in, but it isn't likely to be exposed to third party repair shops.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Logic state indicator and pulsers probes were very popular a few years back.
Old timers like me are more likely to use them. I was just entering the field when HP was making their first set. These days it's more economical to replace a board than troubleshoot to the component level. Board swappers were even around when I first started out. I'd better stop there before I get on my soap box...

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Global Specialties LM-2A Logic Monitor for CMOS or TTL ICs

ABI Digital IC Tester Chip Master Compact

Caseless IC Tester model TES200

HP Comparator 5011T or 10529A

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Can I replace an IC chips that with the same number but has a difference speed or when does it make a difference?

I have seen techs replace IC chips that is a 74H with a 74C or 74S , does it really matter or when does it matter?

This is called the Speed Numbers right?
74 = Standard TTL
74H = High speed TTL
74L = Low Power TTL
74S = Schottky TTL
74LS = Low Power Schottky TTL
74AS = Advanced Schottky TTL
74ALS = Advanced Low Power Schottky TTL
74C = Metal Gate (Pins are compatible with TTL)
74HC = Silicon Gate High Speed (Pins are compatible with TTL)
74HCT = Silicon Gate High Speed (compatible with TTL)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Can I replace an IC chips that with the same number but has a difference speed or when does it make a difference?

I have seen techs replace IC chips that is a 74H with a 74C or 74S , does it really matter or when does it matter?
1) It has a different speed.
2) Which circuit are you talking about? All of them? There is no one answer for all circuits everywhere all the time.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
As a general rule, no.
Either those techs really know what they're doing; or they don't know what they're doing. I'd tend to believe the latter.

This is called the Speed Numbers right?
Speed, fan in/out, threshold levels, ...; generally not interchangeable.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Speed, fan in/out, threshold levels, ...; generally not interchangeable.
Yes I have noticed that also from the datasheets

74 = Standard TTL
74H = High speed TTL
74L = Low Power TTL
74S = Schottky TTL
74LS = Low Power Schottky TTL
74AS = Advanced Schottky TTL
74ALS = Advanced Low Power Schottky TTL
74C = Metal Gate (Pins are compatible with TTL)
74HC = Silicon Gate High Speed (Pins are compatible with TTL)
74HCT = Silicon Gate High Speed (compatible with TTL)
So the identification is this chart is called what?

I know the IC testers get confused when testing the same IC part number but this identification list gets confusing for IC testers. I'm guessing it's called identification for say the 74H, 74L, 74s etc.

When using either:
Global Specialties LM-2A Logic Monitor for CMOS or TTL ICs
The ECOMMS BUGTRAP Logic comparator model 2000C
HP Comparator 5011T or 10529A

You have to have the exact IC part number and identification or it won't test the TTL or CMOS chip right. Plus you have to buy a lot of parts to have on hand to verify.