IC Info?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by moorejohn90, Aug 8, 2012.

1. moorejohn90

Thread Starter Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Hi, Is there any book or online resource that give IC' number, specification and where to use it, how to use. I am new to electronic and I don't know much about IC.
    Thanks;)

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    There are probably hundreds of thousands different ICs available. I don't know of one site describing the functions of each and every IC.
    You can have a look on digikey.com.

A better approach is to tell us about a specific project and we tell you what chip you may use.

3. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    John,
    The parametric search function on Digikey is about as close as youre gonna come to a chip cheat sheet like you describe. There are a few manufacturer specific booklets tha do a fair job explaining what the CMOS 4000 series does and the 74XX series of ships too. With the ever increasing number of chips and the amount of integration they are getting all the time a book would be nearly impossible to keep current. If you have a project, speak up with what you want to do and someone will have a chip that they use for that application. Once you have a chip then you can look at possible substitutions and see if you have something that will work in your parts boxx already. Hope this helps.
    Bob

4. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    .. is online here
    Back in the day it was a set of thick volumes that you could get for free every year with a gazillion parts listed by function. Its advertiser supported but check it out. Once you have browsed and know the kind of IC you want, drill down w/parametric searches on various ones as suggested above.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    tracecom likes this.
  6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The EDUCYPEDIA has a lot of pages for data with links about a lot of subjects:
    Audio data
    AWG conversion
    Barcode
    Calculators
    Capacitor codes
    Constants and tables
    Databank - tables
    Datasheets
    Formulas
    Inductor codes
    IP ratings
    Keyboard codes
    Resistor color code
    RF data
    Schematic symbols
    Science symbols-codes
    SMD codes
    Transistor codes
    Units & constants

Bertus

As the internet is very volatile, some of the links may show dead.
    Many of them can be viewed using the internet archive:
    http://archive.org/web/web.php

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I like using a resource like Digi-key since it lists only devices that are generally available and commonly used, and gives basic information on their use. Also you get a quick check of whether it's in your price range. A general search will likely give many devices that are old, obsolete, and likely unavailable.