IC containing 4 MOSFETS with shared gate?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ALAS, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ALAS

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Hi, I am trying to search for a device which I am pretty sure exists, but don't know what it would be called.
    It would be an IC containing 4 MOSFETs (N channel, enhancement) with a shared gate. I tried searching "quad MOSFET" on Mouser but didn't find what I was looking for.

I am trying to use a single switch to switch on 4 independent (NOT parallel) branches of a circuit, without having to use a 4PST switch. I know I could do it with 4 MOSFETs each receiving the same gate voltage from a line controlled by the main switch but don't want to have to use 48 MOSFETs for this project.

Also, please do let me know if there is a simpler or better solution that I have overlooked. My electronics knowledge is weirdly patchy so sometimes the solution I come up with for a problem is inelegant or needlessly complicated.

Thanks!

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What is the current and voltage of the switched branches?

3. ALAS

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Both quite low. Line level audio (~1V DC peak to peak) and very low current (not sure how much but it's not a lot).

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Google 'analog switch IC'. There are many out there.

5. chuckey

Jun 4, 2007
    Frank

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    If the signal voltage goes below ground you will have to take that into consideration when buying an analog switch.
    A CD4066, for example can't carry a signal voltage lower than the negative supply voltage.
    But some switches, such as these, can carry signals that go outside the supply rails.

Alternately you can DC offset the signal at 1/2 the peak-peak AC level, using capacitor coupling, to insure that he signal never goes below 0V.