Ic: 74ls173n

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by CoderJohn, May 22, 2014.

1. CoderJohn

Thread Starter New Member

May 22, 2014
    I am trying to build a circuit using the 16-pin 4-bit d type register stated above. The circuit will simply be for my knowledge of how to wire it up for future projects. However I am not sure how to get it wired properly ie do I need resistors if so where at, etc...

My supplies I have bought are 100 230 ohm 1/2 watt resistors, 100 330 ohm resistors also 1/2 watt, and the ic itself.
    I will be using a 5v source for this as well. I tried wiring it up myself but had poor luck getting it to change it's outputs. Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. ErnieHorning

Apr 17, 2014
    For bench top testing, I would permanently enable both the input (Pins 9 & 10) and output (pins 1 & 2) by just grounding them.
    · Add a separate resistor (either value will work) to each pin (7, 11, 12, 13, 14 &15). This will hold each pin to a default low.

· Apply power

· Use a jumper wire (or switch) to momentarily connect the Master Reset pin (15) high to set the flip-flops to a know state of zero after applying power.

· Now connect a jumper to any of D0 (pin 14), D1 (pin 13), D2 (pin 12) or D3 (pin 12) to set it high.

· Use a jumper wire (or switch) to momentarily connect the Clock Pulse pin (7) to move the value at the input pins to the output.
    This should at least get you going.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  3. CoderJohn

Thread Starter New Member

May 22, 2014
    I tried the connections that way and the leds wouldn't light up to the output. It is like the circuit is finding a quicker and easier way to ground. Do the LEDs need to come before the resistors? I stuck them after.

4. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Is your connections like the schematic attached?

After power up. Press the RESET button. Set the DIP switches (or jumpers on breadboard as said by Erniel). Then press the CLOCK button. A "H" on Data switch would off the LED and vice versa.

Allen

5. ErnieHorning

Apr 17, 2014
    Wire the LED’s just like in Allen’s schematic. You have to connect the LED’s to the supply so that they light when the IC connects the ground. This IC can’t supply enough positive current for most LED’s.

It doesn’t matter. They’re in series, so the current is the same either way.

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    On my browser that whole thing reads in Greek!

This font really sucks!

It looks like the font /font commands got messed up somehow and it's all in font "Symbol"?

7. ErnieHorning

Apr 17, 2014
    Must be a Windows default font that you don't have on your system. This site seems to use Verdana as a default font so, I changed it.

8. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    It's working now, thanks! :)