IC 2822M heating up fast!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by freakash, Apr 29, 2013.

1. freakash

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 29, 2013
  2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    So this is the circuit you built? Maybe submit a photo of your build - you've probably made a boo boo. It happens to the best of us. Also, what were your inputs and loads?

[​IMG]

3. freakash

Apr 29, 2013
    wayneh,
    yes same circuit as the above image and checked it many times. Don't know whether the IC got busted. Any Idea?

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    As I said, post a picture. And yes, your IC is most likely toast if it got that hot.

5. freakash

Apr 29, 2013
    Initially tested it with only one 8 ohm speaker and No input given.

6. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    You should add 100nF cap across the powersupply pins off the IC. Do you have the 4.7ohm resistor in series with the 100nf cap on the output?

7. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I dont see any 4.7R resistors on the outputs, also remove all from the output pins and power up and see if it still gets hot.

8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Well, that's not the circuit given in the diagram then. Maybe you followed this diagram, but used an 8Ω speaker? That might have caused the heat, since it shows shorted outputs as drawn.

[​IMG]

9. freakash

Apr 29, 2013
    1.I had connected 10uf across power to ground. But did not add 4.7R in series to the o/p
    2.I tried without o/p pins connected which resulted me in wasting away one more IC
    3.I did not short the speaker across the two terminals. Instead only one o/p across the .1u cap to ground and another no load.

I think the no load condition was the culprit!

10. colepinter

Apr 19, 2013
    most amp IC's need a heat sink. Dont be afraid to try to drill and tap holes in any heat sink that you need, but also remember many amps have a back plate as well !
    so ... plate of metal on back side, heat sink on front, two bolts to hold them togather.
    If its a flat ic, then think more like a CPU's heat sink, you need to give some room around it when you make your circuit, and put a heat sink on and make some kind of bracket to hold it down. DONT FORGET THE THERMAL GREASE !!!
    good luck.