"i2c bus master controller"

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tojeena, Jul 3, 2010.

1. tojeena

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2009
    friends please help me in finding answers to this qns.
    1).is this i2c widely used?
    2).how can we add bus slave contoller to this??
    3).how can we improve the speed?
    4).how can we do synthesis with altera/xillinx??..
    5).any photos how i2c is being connected.?

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Is this a class assignment? If so, then it belongs in the homework section of the forum.

hgmjr

3. tojeena

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2009
    it isn't a homework..part of my pjct work..

4. Darren Holdstock

Feb 10, 2009
    Need a bit more info to work with, such as application and project specifications, but here goes:

1) Yes, it's very popular. Other serial IC-to-IC protocols are available, but I2C has been around for years and is used by a lot of devices. It was invented by Philips, so they're a good place to start looking for information. Or rather NXP, which is what the old Philips Semiconductors has become.

2) Master/slave assignments are all in the protocol, the physical connections are the same.

3) To go faster you'll need the latest I2C-spec devices. As the clock (SCL) and data (SDA) lines are open-drain, you'll need lower value pullup resistors to go faster, just to overcome any parasitic capacitance.

4) Don't know, sorry, I'm not an FPGA expert. But I've known dedicated I2C blocks in microcontrollers to be buggy - if in doubt, you can always bit-bash. If you're using the onboard I2C block, read the datasheet very, very thoroughly.

5) The connections aren't complicated, and there are no requirements for impedance controlled PCB traces as the speeds are relatively slow. That doesn't mean that I2C lines aren't prone to interference and problems from poor layout, but you'd have to get it very wrong to start seeing serious issues.

Some useful reading:

The Philips I2C manual.

An I2C self-help group.