I would like to understand and learn about Triacs, Diacs, and AC Dimmer Circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Guest. I see your frustration and your lack of experience but I don't think it is fair to say thst the people on this thread have not tried go help you with good information. I have been on this forum for a bit and I find the people on this thread are top notch and have helped many people with their problem. You posed a question and I can tell they answered what you have asked of them. I think you have learned a valuable lesson but for as many people as there are on here, there is a tight knit group that helps the bulk of the newbies on here. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Good luck with your learning.
"Regardless if the answers I did get on this thread were correct, I'm still grateful, and would like to thank those that did try to help."

Regardless.. means : Without paying attention to the present situation; despite the prevailing circumstances.

Meaning, not really paying attention to the good answers that I did get, I'm still grateful, and would like to thank those that did try to help.
I didn't deserve the help, nor did I need it. This thread was created by mistake. I bit off more than I could chew. Obviously.

I wanted it deleted. It's a pain in the you know what to look at. It's embarrassing. When I do crap like this, and reach out to those that I truly want help from, I get it, but if the thread was created by mistake, because I'm an idiot.. obviously.. and I then have to reply to things I've said in the thread, which is the right thing to do, the embarrassment becomes even greater. If it was deleted, which could happen online. It would disappear.

Now if only that were possible outside of a computer. Wouldn't that be great.

Yes, the people on here, I've seen in some of my past threads, are very good at what they know, and the help they can provide, is top notch.

I totally agree with you.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Hi,

Have you learned anything about the RC circuit yet?

There are two basic approaches but they do require a little algebra.

The DC approach and the AC approach.

The DC approach is when the RC circuit is driven with a step input that goes from 0 to some voltage in nearly zero time, then the cap starts to charge.

The AC approach treats the RC as a filter, with a constant AC output amplitude for constant input AC amplitude, and a constant phase shift for constant frequency input. This circuit is used as either a filter or a phase shift network. Because your question was originally related to a triac circuit, you will be eventually interested in the way the RC can shift the phase of the input AC wave.

We can look at these circuit in more detail, but i am not sure how much math you have had so far. It helps to know that so i know what kind of explanation would suite you best.

I need your help on a previous thread, which you've tried to help me along with a couple other people : How to calculate capacitor discharge time.
I know I was a little rude, and I've learned my lesson. I'll listen, and try to pay attention. I could of swore I learned something from that thread, but I seem to have forgotten most of it. I'll look it over again, besides me already looking at it, and I'd like to talk about the equations, and such.

So if you can help, here is not the place. This thread is labeled : I would like to understand and learn about Triacs, Diacs, and AC Dimmer Circuits.

Which is more than I can handle. Should honestly be deleted, because it's got a whole lot of crap in it, that if anyone were to come here and look at this thread would look the other way hopefully. Not much in depth useful info on this thread yet.

So I'm going to go back now to that thread, and look over some of the stuff, and try to actually get the hang of these capacitors and resistors.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Resistors are a hindrance to the flow of current and when in series with a capacitor, control the time that it takes to fully charge the capacitor(the cap size does matter as well). Note that I'm talking about DC. AC is a bit more complicated beast:oops:

Very simplified since there are devils in the details but I would recommend that you make some simple oscillating circuits which involve LED's or if in the audio frequencies range. Listen to it and then put smaller or larger caps, or resistors and see/hear the difference. Gives you much more intuition compared to raw math in my opinion.

My first semester I didn't even own a multimeter yet I aced all of the tests and so forth. However what was missing for all of my schooling was having the equipment and parts at home...

Being able to test and experiment at home makes so much difference. The stress is WAY less and then you finally can be able to gather your thoughts (My experience anyways)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.