I want to turn on a VCR to record a camera for a security system

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Look in to an infrared spotlight, it is invisible to humans, but will light up the area for any CCD camera. It isn't actually night vision, but very close to the next best thing.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
There are posts that are not related to this thread added?
If you are refering to the above post? It is exactly what you are trying to do. Ive built this project & it operated a VCR when activated by intruders & switched off after a period of time.

d1940u

Joined Feb 12, 2011
Sorry, I am so dumb I can't see how the above is related to activating a circuit that requires a momentarily switch to start.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
He is modifying the remote for the VCR instead of the VCR, the end effect is pretty similar, and a lot cheaper overall (it is almost impossible to replace a VCR nowdays). I'm coming down with a bug (my lungs are on fire), but I'll draw the schematic now.

Interestingly, the same concept would work well for the VCR remote too, since it has the same buttons.

temp2.GIF

The assumption is the switch opens when you want to activate the VCR, if it is the other way around some redesign is needed. Radio Shack has some very tiny relays that should work.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That protoboard design we referred you too at first make more sense?

I just looked up Harlingen, you should be pretty close to Brownsville I would think. I lived in Laredo for a while.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Pics of how wired to VCR swith board, The switches are O/C till pressed. Yes i am fammiliar with VCRs been a repair tech for 25yrs. On this particular machine Black is common, Red is stop, White is play.

Attachments

Last edited:

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Unless you are very competent at soldering you will find trying to solder on a remote control very dificult. Pic of a typical remote control. Switches on remotes are also open till pressed.

Attachments

Last edited:

d1940u

Joined Feb 12, 2011
Thanks guys, I feel that I can connect to the VCR, don't know about the remote unless they make conducting glues. I have to go to Office Depot to print the above out tomorrow so I will know more then.

Harlingen is about 20 miles north of Brownsville.

Another thing I would like to know is how to massage the output of an 120 volt occupancy light switch ( the kind that are used in bathroom and places that don't require lights all the time).so that a relay would not chatter. I think their are places where I might want to trigger a relay from one. They are cheap and have adjustments for light and on time.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Talking about IR triggered types? The kind that comes on automatically?

If that is the case those are pretty much off the shelf as security lights.

d1940u

Joined Feb 12, 2011
Talking about IR triggered types? The kind that comes on automatically?

If that is the case those are pretty much off the shelf as security lights.
Yes, that is the type I am talking about. The security lights come with a fixture which is not a adaptable as the occupancy switch. When I connected a relay to a couple I got chatter from them. Don't know why and don't have a scope to see what the output looks like. I suspect it has to do with the induction load but don't know.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What are you driving with them? Motors and what not generally cause something similar, but simple light bulbs should be fairly clean.

Radio Shack sells a simple IR detector that is meant to connect to a microprocessor, but it can be used as a simple sensor.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2906724

I've never worked with it, so I'm not too familiar how well it works. I've seen a lot of threads where people used it though. It may be worth starting a new thread on.

I still think your best bet is a premade unit from a hardware store. We'll need a bit more information as to how your using it though, is it the trigger for your VCR?

Jeeze, I'm feeling bad. This bug is getting me down.

d1940u

Joined Feb 12, 2011
I was wondering if that might be a way to attach to the remote. I believe you guys when you say soldering on remote is difficult.