I want to monitor devices on my local network for uptime

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
I have some IP cameras as well as a few IP controllers that provide access control to my property. I have been having connectivity issues and am trying to determine if I have a faulty network switch or if I can blame my ISP provider for my woes.

I am looking for a solution that I can either run on one of my PCs on the network or plug into my network switch that will monitor the uptime of the IP addresses. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ideally, when I have a connectivity issue, I would like to be able to look at a log and determine what devices dropped offline and when. My connectivity issues mainly happen at off hours when I am not around to check individual devices for connectivity to try and narrow down the issue.

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
I have some IP cameras as well as a few IP controllers that provide access control to my property. I have been having connectivity issues and am trying to determine if I have a faulty network switch or if I can blame my ISP provider for my woes.

I am looking for a solution that I can either run on one of my PCs on the network or plug into my network switch that will monitor the uptime of the IP addresses. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ideally, when I have a connectivity issue, I would like to be able to look at a log and determine what devices dropped offline and when. My connectivity issues mainly happen at off hours when I am not around to check individual devices for connectivity to try and narrow down the issue.

I think maybe Angry IP Scanner might do what you need (http://angryip.org/). It's open source, and it's capabilities can be enhanced with plugins.

Also there is this: Colasoft Capsa Network Analyzer Free 7.7.1.3076 . . . but I have never used it before. It sounds like it's got quite a few decent capabilities.

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

Do your IP devices support SNMP?
Uptime is usually available via SNMP. You can google for a free snmp management software, install and configure on your PC and monitor your devices as you've described.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
There is a learning curve. I believe how large depends on what you want to do. But it's more than an SNMP management tool. With basic shell/command scripting, you can monitor just about anything. We used it for availability monitoring of public web pages... I will admit it being a few years since I used it.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
There is a learning curve. I believe how large depends on what you want to do. But it's more than an SNMP management tool. With basic shell/command scripting, you can monitor just about anything. We used it for availability monitoring of public web pages... I will admit it being a few years since I used it.
Yes...there is a learning curve if you want it to do anything really useful. Most messages generated are cryptic unless you customize it. I used nagios for short time but have used Zenoss for years instead as it provided a customizable web based interface, custom alerting and messaging. We monitor about 200 devices from servers to routers and switches.