I want to make my own digital camera.

kadin

Joined Sep 6, 2012
Why not just buy one?

1. Because I need something very small that just takes still pictures (maybe video is too complicated for my first camera) and stores it on an external storage device like a SanDisk card.

2. No flash.

3. No LCD screen.

4. I want to wire this camera up to a refrigerator for example so when the door opens, a picture is taken.

5. I want to eventually program it to take multiple pictures when a switch is turned on.

Basically I want to experiment with designing my own PCB board soldering and wiring components together into a system.

I have no electronics experience, but I can program. I know I can learn electronics if I put my mind to it.

I am looking for tutorials and books that will provide steps to accomplish this goal.

Am I asking too much for someone with little to no experience? Should I buy a miniature security camera, crack it open and wire it to a refrigerator instead? Can someone suggest some tutorials or advice. Thanks.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You will definitely have to use some sort of microcontroller to make this possible, the microcontroller will connect to the camera module to "grab" images and manipulate camera settings, etc. and also manage data from the camera and interface to an SD Card for image storage..... take a look at Sparkfun they have camera modules available for the hobbyist.... but there are also numerous others available all over the web...

Do you have any experience working/programming microcontrollers?

What languages (for programming) are you familiar with?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Why would anyone want to take pictures of a fridge,is this some sort of burglar alarm, are you taking pictures inside the fridge or outside of it??

kadin

Joined Sep 6, 2012
Thanks for your response.

No experience programming microcontrollers.
I am experienced with internet languages like PHP, ActionScript, Processing(A derivative of Java).

I understand the microcontroller Arduino uses the languages processing or Java and maybe C.

I looked at a couple of Arduino tutorials. The microcontroller is larger than the camera I intend to use.

kadin

Joined Sep 6, 2012
The frig is just an example. I want to experiment to learn how to integrate the camera into other systems.