I want to close a switch when there is impact ie by golf balls

toongolf

Joined Jun 9, 2012
Hi I am new and I want to design something for a golf range.

I want to make distance markers with aluminium plates ie 50m, 100m and 150m. When golf balls hit these distance markers, which will give a vibration on the plates, is there any kind of switch which I can mount on it to switch on a decorative light (Battery powered):confused:

chuckey

Joined Jun 4, 2007
I am sure there is but as the ball will only vibrate the plate for .1 of a second, the bulb will flash so rapidly that you won't be able to see it.
I think the best way to go is to use cheap microphones, followed by a opamp to raise the level, a diode detector to turn the pulse into DC. A 2 second timer then a bulb driver to complete the circuit.
Frank

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm thinking about those "broken glass" sensors that security companies advertise on late night TV. Probably because I stayed up too late and the morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Anyway...they are vibration detectors, much like a microphone. Why am I typing about something you can't buy? Stop me, please...before...

Timo D.

Joined Oct 21, 2011
Hi,

just curious.
Do you think of some kind of "professional" application?
If yes, I'd rather choose an accelerometer IC and a signal
conditioning processor (e.g. RISC).

Everything else might be more or less for fun circuits, only.
Don't get me wrong (I'm no native speaker) the answers you got are
correct. But just using a broken-glass detector is probably too simple.

Either it won't react on "just a golf ball" or it detects every noise.
Thus, you'll need a signal conditioning path to distinguish between
disturbance and the event you'd like to notice.
You'll have this freedom using an accelerometer IC, but maybe a
broken-glass sensor is already too application specific.

best regards,
Timo

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No matter what you sense with, signal conditioning will be an important part of this project. It can be done with old style analog filters. It can be done with computer algorythms.

I tend to like chuckey's answer.

toongolf

Joined Jun 9, 2012
Hi The plate will normally be 8ft x 4ft. The purpose of this is that I am trying to make noise in the range as it is very quiet. So if I use an aluminium plate, there will be sound generated when the golf balls hit the plate. So to further add more buzz in the range, I am thinking of lighting it up at night.

That's is the purpose of the switch. Singaporean likes to be in a place where there is activity. I am also thinking of giving out prizes ie small gifts for those who can light up the plate

toongolf

Joined Jun 9, 2012
I am sure there is but as the ball will only vibrate the plate for .1 of a second, the bulb will flash so rapidly that you won't be able to see it.
I think the best way to go is to use cheap microphones, followed by a opamp to raise the level, a diode detector to turn the pulse into DC. A 2 second timer then a bulb driver to complete the circuit.
Frank
Do you have a circuit for this.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Why not use PIEZO disc's as the sensors, instead of mic's...... they are cheap and easy to interface to the same type of circuit,

piezo interface circuit:

piezo Interface.png

interface the above circuit to a 555 timer circuit that can light an LED for a couple of seconds as suggested..... or a type of peak detector circuit that can "Hold" the signal for a couple of seconds and slowly fade away, so if the sensor detects another impact, the LED will get brighter....... just some thoughts for your project......

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
' Found another piezo V gen, element from cig. liter. Button end+, gives 2V, 1 ms pulse with light tap. Adding mass to body or just resiliant mounting, [ fingers ] seems to make little difference. Use with BMoris's ckt or comparator. If standby current drain is a consirn, piezeo can trigger a P ch MOSFET, which then powers-up a 555 , turning on light & holding power on untill time out.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Got bored so I quickly sketched up this circuit, could work to switch higher current loads with the relay setup...... not sure if this is gonna work 100%, may have to build a prototype and try it out with my sons airsoft rifles :)

PIEZO DISC TARGET TRIGGER CIRCUIT.png