I want another software

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by mr.harm, Apr 12, 2009.

1. mr.harm

Thread Starter Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Hey everybody. Our project for this semester is to design a digital circuit functioning as a vending machine. I designed the circuit and I want to do the simulation. I am using multisim 7 but it is not effective. I mean the page which I am working on inside the software cannot carry the hole circuit since it is very large. I need a better software.

2. electronictech

Apr 1, 2009
    Since it is a large digital circuit you are designing and simulating, I would suggest using software that is intended for a CPLD/FPGA which will support development, simulation and target download. I personally have been using Xilinx's ISE Webpack, which is free to download (its a big download and you have to sign up and register it). This software will let you create a design in either a 'schematic' form, 'hardware description language', or 'state logic'...which ever is easiest for you. I will admit it is a bit intimidating to get started with, but after going thru the guided tutorials a couple of times you will get the hang of it quickly.

The software simulates the circuitry in a timing diagram fashion, so you can create very accurate models, and know how the circuit will behave before downloading it into the target device.

The reason I suggest that type of software is because a complex digital logic circuit will require lots of PCB space and lots of individual IC's, whereas a CPLD will be only one IC that can be reconfigured multiple times. TTL is fun if you only need a few IC's, but as soon as the complexity of the circuit increases you should consider a CPLD, this way is a mistake is made in the design it is easy to reconfigure. It only takes one missed wire or trace to mess up an entire TTL circuit, and with a CPLD you get to assign which pin goes where.

Anyways, have fun!