I want a culmative watss meter for my welder

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by TheEquineFencer, Jun 11, 2013.

1. TheEquineFencer

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 20, 2007
    I've been kicking this idea around for a while. I want to build a watts meter for my welder so I can keep up with what it cost me when I'm using it. Is there a device I can buy or build to do this? It's 240V 1PH 50A. What would be really nice wouldbe to have it so I can reset it back to Zero and also program my KW cost and have it actually tell me how much I just spent. I guess that would be getting a little far out there huh?

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It would be relatively easy using a data acquisition device - I use a LabJack U3HV - and a computer. Of course you need the right sensor.

In the meanwhile you might want to check out the Kill-a-watt.

3. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010

Use a device similar to a Kill A Watt. It will measure voltage, current watts, w-hr, VA, Hz, PF & time(hrs). I have two of them one made to work on 240V. Of course that is not quite the same as building one. Or you might be able to buy a watt-hour meter similar to the one the electric company uses to measure your consumption so they can bill you for it.

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I've got one -- I think it's a Kill A Watt, but maybe not -- and you can program in the cost per kWh and it will display the cumulative cost.

5. richard.cs

Mar 3, 2012
    Have a look on ebay for "electric meter" - you can buy old electric company ones for very low prices.