I to V and V to I converter

Surendar

Joined Sep 12, 2005
What is Current to voltage converter and Voltage to current converter.How it can

be used for applications.

Thank you

Regards,

Surendar

Murod

Joined Dec 24, 2005
Current to voltage converter is a circuit that makes a current source becomes a voltage source. Voltage to current converter is a circuit that makes a voltage source becomes a current source.

A voltage source is a point that gives a specified voltage regardless the impedance of the load. A voltage source will give the specified voltage on load with various impedance, so the current will vary according to the load's impedance.

A current source is a point that gives a specified current regardless the impedance of the load. A current source will give the specified current on load with various impedance, so the the voltage will vary according to the load's impedance.

One example of current to voltage converter is the circuit in light intensity meter using photovoltaic sensor. Because the sensor acts like a current source proportional to light intensity, a current to voltage circuit will make the response to be linear. You can't get a linear response if you treat the sensor as a voltage source.

One example of voltage to current converter is in the circuit for transmiting signal for long distant. If you use a voltage signal, the receiver will suffer a voltage drop on the signal. If You use a current source, You won't. It is widely used in industrial instrumentation for communication between sensor system and the controller, or between controller and the actuator.

I would like to ask you to refer "Operational Amplifiers and Linear ICs(Desing&trouble shooting)" by David A Bell, for nice design of V-I & I-V converters using opamps..