I/O Source Selection

mkruluts

Joined Jun 19, 2013
I am new to the world of micro controllers and I am coming into it as a hobbyist. I have two input sources of wiring and one destination. I want to put a slide switch to toggle between which set of wire signals gets passed through. I have no idea how to correctly accomplish this. I won't be sending any power over the wires, and if I do it won't be any more than 3 - 5 volts. Does anybody know or understand what I am trying to accomplish? Can anyone point me in the correct direction? If there is any proper terminology or devices, please include so I can learn as much as I can. I see this as a relatively rudimentary task, I may be wrong. Thanks in advance.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It sounds like what you want is to essentially multiplex the two inputs to a single receiver, no?

This would enable you to select which lines the data comes over, with a single switch.

How many wires are in the source wiring, as the answer will dictate the approach? Also, are the signals digital?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Use a spdt switch. The switch will have one connector (we'll call this the output) that can selectively connect to the two other connectors (we'll call these the inputs). The output is usually the middle connector, but not always. So, connect your two sources to the two intputs and your destination to the output.

If you get confused with your switch, post a pic and we'll see if we can help you get it connected.

mkruluts

Joined Jun 19, 2013
Yeah... basically I have two shielded input cables with 5 wires in each. I have a circuit board that acts as a converter, appropriately mapping the signals to the correct output. I want wire two into a (for lack of better term) switch that will have a slider that will toggle between which of the two sources gets passed through to the circuit board with the micro controller that outputs in the correct layout.

mkruluts

Joined Jun 19, 2013
OK... I looked into it more, and as it turns out... It will need to support 5v power. The input cables have 5 pins of the following types: Clock, Latch, Data, 5v, and Ground.

mkruluts

Joined Jun 19, 2013
Also... the sources will have the same input, but require a different mode on the connecting circuit board. The mode is made by bridging two solder pads together. I can do this in a more elaborate way using a wire, but I will have to have a way that make that connection when Source A is selected, but not make the connection when Source B is connected. As well as pass through to the board the correct source. Does this sound incredibly stupid? I feel like I might be wasting the time of the nice folks on this forum (much nicer than other forums I have dealt with in the past).

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
OK... I looked into it more, and as it turns out... It will need to support 5v power. The input cables have 5 pins of the following types: Clock, Latch, Data, 5v, and Ground.
...sounds like digital....what switching speeds are required?

There are quite a few solutions, some using discrete gates, transistors, multiplexers, and many other implementations....

Maybe check out a 743257, ancient but it works...of course, that depends on the nature of the signals...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
As I already said, you need spdt switches. You can either use 5 or switches or use spst realys. Wire one realy across the two pads that sets the mode. It will energize when you activate the inputs that need the mode.

If you're not interested in this solution or have more requirements to add, then I won't mention it further.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
As I already said, you need spdt switches. You can either use 5 or switches or use spst realys. Wire one realy across the two pads that sets the mode. It will energize when you activate the inputs that need the mode.

If you're not interested in this solution or have more requirements to add, then I won't mention it further.
I think the OP wants a single switch to control the source...perhaps I'm way off, though...

mkruluts

Joined Jun 19, 2013
I intend to use a spdt slide switch (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9609) for this, however I only want to use one.

I guess I cannot hide it any further, the idea is stupid and I was trying to only give details... The source will be a NES and SNES controller and the pcb does the button mapping to a game cube controller. Since most NES/SNES games are max of 2 players, I am only needing to do this with two inputs each, but I was trying to limit the amount of a $20 premade boards I have to buy and use two and toggle input source. See the complete project at this location: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/downloads/M_NSNESTOGCW_PCB_ENG2.pdf

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
What is the purpose of the power and ground lines? Are you trying to power the device off this?