i need your suggestion on stupid question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by vead, Sep 25, 2013.

1. vead

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2011
    In school, we read books and bunch of theory but when i want to try to make some project. i always confused i don't know how to assemble all component together and how to make circuit so i feel this theory is useless for me i want to apply theory into practical..
    I am interested in embedded system I want to learn how controller make

I know some basic things
    MICRO CONTROLLER = CPU+MEMORY+PERIPHERAL
    CPU= ALU+CONTROL UNIT
    MEMORY=ROM+RAM
    PERIPHERAL= PORT+CLOCK+TIMER+UART+......
    I want to start from basic I am looking for advice how and where to start. what is best way to learn design for someone who has experience
    If you have any suggestion please tell me........

2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Best way is JUST DO IT!

Buy some components and build some stuff. You can do a lot with a 7400 quad nand gate and a couple of LEDs

3. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    MEMORY=ROM+RAM, EEPROM - like ROM and also like RAM.

What do you really want to learn?

1. 8051 - AT89S51,AT89S52, DIY a ISP programmer, DIY a easy development board, and writing asm language and execute it, 8051 resource.

2. Pic - To buy a kit and study from Micorchip.

3. Auduino board - to buy a kit and start to play.

Arduino website.

Arduino Projects.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I agree, doing something practicable, something with real components will help you far more then any book will. Even if it is just making a blinkie LED light.

I would suggest some sort of development board. *Which* board depends on a lot of things: I don't know what vendors are available in India, and I don't know your budget.

I do like Microchip and they have two development boards with programmers and lesson plans that take you thru many of the basic steps of using micros.

There are many other similar packages. I played with one from the Parallax people many years back that was interesting, based on their Basic Stamp module.

5. bug13

Feb 13, 2012
    I was in your situation when I first started at school, but here is what I did:

first I bought a second hand STK500, then locked up a chip, then looked for help on how to unlock it, then I found this website and asked my first question here, someone here point me to AVR Freak, solved my problem, then played around PWM with LEDs, then made a 5V fix supply with a 7805 with the help here, then PWM with dc motor, then made a programmable power supply, then a constant current load... (and again with the help here)

hope it helps..

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Everybody starts by picking up a part and trying to figure out which wire is the one they are looking for. Get some parts, any way you can, and figure out what each connection does. Lucky for you, the internet exists. You can look up parts on your computer.

7. vead

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2011
    thank you very much for valuable response

8. Neil Groves

Sep 14, 2011
    I started with a ladybird book I believe was called 'simple electronics' and built a few projects from it with parts sourced from my local radio shop, learning how to turn a bulb on with a transistor ect, of course that was back in the early 80's, nowadays you have the internet.

incidentally those early years were the most exciting for me, peering inside radio's and seeing all the different coloured components then finding out what they were and what they did.

good luck.

Neil.

9. DMahalko

Oct 5, 2008
    Starting out with raw logic chips and trying to wire together a computer from scratch may be rather challenging for a complete beginner.

It may be easier for you to start out a little higher up, and work your way down into the full complexities a little later.

Take a look at these...

Very simple:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC_Stamp

Midrange:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

Close to being a full function desktop computer, but cheap, single board:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

10. Osama ali

Oct 5, 2013
    I had a same problem with me , but the moment i started practicing on bread board over and over again , i can make any circuit yet, All you have to do is to first read the ciruit then experiment it in lab , remember mistakes teache you, so dont worry try your best . ;)

and good to know its my first post on all about circuit forum . thank you freinds ;)

11. Senz_90

Jul 11, 2013
    same for me, but i didn't have a good basic before...just learn series, paralel, ohm law, each components function, PSU, low frequency using big value caps, high frequency using moderate value caps, etc. maybe i am different case likes you on the reverse side. i can make a circuit on my breadboard but i can't figure out the function of the schematic very well..
    for ex. i know to build , PWM Controller, blinking led, linear PSU, ESR meter that measure caps "impedance" name as ESR. maybe for the expert one this is a simple built and simple maths, but i can't figure out the "number" for frequency, RMS, voltage in mV range,etc. i try to learn RMS, peak to peak, Op Amp basic but when facing a real schematic that has oscillator, inverting amp, feedback that is the problem. is there any advice or site to learn how to build a electric design schema so i know the function each components that i was assembling connecting together..?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It's traditionally called an electrical engineering degree. If you want to read and write a foreign language, you need to learn the alphabet, the dictionary, the rules of grammar and ideally the logical constructions that make for effective prose. There are many ways to learn these things. Taking a class is one common approach. Same deal with electronics.

13. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    I think that anyone interested in electronics should have a copy of " Engineer's Notebook II", by Forrest M. Mims III

14. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    I understand your frustration but when you say "i feel this theory is useless for me i want to apply theory into practical", I think you have made a serious error.

First of all, you statement even says it: You want to apply the theory to something practical. So, obviously, you can't believe that the theory is useless.

If you want to be able to create, design, build, maintain, or modify anything, you first have to acquire the specialized tools that will be needed.

All of your studies of theory are only meant to give you a set of tools. That has turned out to be the best way to do it. And they don't even necessarily teach you how to really use all of the tools, or even tell you what they're all for. But without a complete set of those special tools, you can never do what you are wanting to be able to do.

It's absolutely great that you want to start playing around with hardware and start making things that DO something. Do that TOO! But DON'T think that learning the theory is less important. In order to do the REALLY-fun stuff, later, and for the rest of your life, you will have to have the biggest set of the best tools you can get!

Your main job right now is to learn the theory, extremely well. It will pay off later, hugely. Attack it! Spend almost all of your time and energy on it! If that sounds crazy, then logically, if it's not important-enough to you, to do that, maybe you should study something else. But I'm not suggesting THAT, and if you actually start spending all of your time studying, then something like "magic" will happen, and your understanding (and appreciation) of the theory will reach a "critical mass" state and start a chain reaction and you will never, ever regret it.

You only have a short time for school, compared to the rest of your life. If you don't take FULL advantage of it, you will either regret it for the rest of your life, or, you will never even realize what you threw away. Either of those would be a terrible tragedy.

So instead of thinking that your teachers make you do work, you should think that you are unbelievably lucky to be able to learn all of this cool stuff, and you should make THEM work harder, as you force them to let you extract every bit of their knowledge and wisdom. After all, YOU are THEIR customer.

(I would love to see what would happen if a student in a Circuit Theory class would ask a question about what design considerations might arise with non-ideal ground and power conductors, for example.)

Now that I find myself standing on a soapbox, I should mention something else that's very important, that I realized too late. And this applies to all of the intelligent types of people who tend to be in technical fields: I used to think that if I learned all of the math and engineering as well as possible, and could be more intelligent than most people, then I would be as successful as possible. But it turns out that learning to COMMUNICATE very well is even MORE important than becoming a technical wizard! Yes! Not AS important. MORE important! Without the ability to VERY-effectively communicate (with NON-technical people, too!), and persuade, and to SPEAK UP, loudly and often, all of your technical knowledge and skills could be completely wasted! And things will (and do) go horribly WRONG because the people who really knew the answers couldn't communicate them well-enough, or simply didn't speak up. Plus, the not-as-smart loud-mouths will end up with most of the power, money, and hot women! Are you going to just let that happen?! Learn to communicate! Learn to play people like violins! Stop being shy! Force yourself. Practice, all the time. You can DO it! You HAVE to do it. And also, try to pay some attention to everything else, besides just your studies or work, and become "well-rounded". It will not be sufficient to know only your technical field, even if you are the absolute best. You will also need to know management, finance and accounting, contracts, workplace politics, social graces, and the art of conversation, and probably golf, among many other things.

15. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    My start in anything digital was a failed board (CD4000 CMOS ICs) supposed to mimic the Big Ben tones sequence. The Captain (we were at sea at the moment) tried to assemble two of them but dutifuly damaged both.

When at home I went to a shop where the guy at the counter, to my surprise, told me to check "the clock" (!!). A clock inside this?

I bought some chips from the CD4000 series and a manual from RCA. With my needle multimeter I learnt what highs / lows were. And about clocks! :p

The board is still lying around unrepaired but I confirmed that the clock did not work.

Next step was the Z80 inside the Timex Sinclair which was taught to do incredible (and useless) things on the screen with machine codes programmed manually.

It took me maybe one year to learnt that a compiler (in cassette) existed! Go figure.

16. Senz_90

Jul 11, 2013
    i have ever think before to take a degree in electronic engineering, after finished my economy degree. but i don't have a good basic physic knowledge..it is means that i have to learn all basic before take this degree because it is much harder when we just skip the process for basic. is there possible just reading from basic book step by step to progress into expert? otodidac as i mean..

do you have it ? how much it is cost about?

17. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Engineers Notebook II & IV available on line & on order from Radio Shack, guess abuot US$ 15. His Optoelectronics Circuits is available free on line.