I need your help..

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Attach a couple of accelerometers to a belt that mom is wearing, and connect them to a microcontroller that has been programmed to log acceleration as strong as a kick.

You can buy little solid state accelerometer chips fairly inexpensively, and a belt-mounted microcontroller could log to an SD card to track the time and characteristics of the events.

Somebody would have to design and wire up the circuit, and write the microcontroller program, which would not be trivial, and somebody would need to figure out how to come up with a threshold motion so you're not logging every motion that mom makes.

But I'll bet it would work!

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A day or so late & no OP, but why waste good usless information: Homemade geophone [seismometer- accelerometer ] consisting of 2 1/2 in 8 ohm speaker with 3 pennys glued to center readily detected light caugh, about 20 mV PP.

lidwina

Joined Mar 16, 2010
didnt know you guys replied, sorrrry. I was busy with the designing part..
and go around asking abt microphone but it seems the electrical guy i asked don't really get what i mean.. will be buying accelerometer tmr!!

lidwina

Joined Mar 16, 2010
A day or so late & no OP, but why waste good usless information: Homemade geophone [seismometer- accelerometer ] consisting of 2 1/2 in 8 ohm speaker with 3 pennys glued to center readily detected light caugh, about 20 mV PP.

what is this 3 penny ?
is piezo sensor the same like acclerometer?

lidwina

Joined Mar 16, 2010
Attach a couple of accelerometers to a belt that mom is wearing, and connect them to a microcontroller that has been programmed to log acceleration as strong as a kick.

You can buy little solid state accelerometer chips fairly inexpensively, and a belt-mounted microcontroller could log to an SD card to track the time and characteristics of the events.

Somebody would have to design and wire up the circuit, and write the microcontroller program, which would not be trivial, and somebody would need to figure out how to come up with a threshold motion so you're not logging every motion that mom makes.

But I'll bet it would work!
thank you for your information, but what type of accelerometer chips should i get?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Around where? This site is mostly about doing it yourself, so a lot of people wouldn't "get it".

At the rate you're going the kid will be here before you finish.

You need a simple high gain audio amplifier. Used to be they were not hard to find, but times change. The Bionic Ear may work, but it might not either.

The microphone you're going to have to build yourself, as well as the LED display. Take it in pieces, and you can do this, but it is going to be work, a lot of it hard and frustrating.

If you can find some high school electronics type, or better, then you might be able to go faster. Speaking for myself I usually have plenty of irons in the fire (read that as a lot of projects I'm working on).

lidwina

Joined Mar 16, 2010
There is a building near my place, where it's mainly sell electrical stuff, and so i went there and ask from shop to shop about this microphone thing,but no one there seems to get what i mean.

thanks for your info.. I will take note of what you ve told me. and will work on it asap. thankyouuuuu much

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There is a building near my place, where it's mainly sell electrical stuff, and so i went there and ask from shop to shop about this microphone thing,but no one there seems to get what i mean.
If you are referring to the "microphone" being described in posts #17, 18, 27, and 29, it is really a speaker that is converted to microphone use. Consider a speaker with a coil on the cone and a magnet. As the cone is made to move by vibrations, a small voltage will be produced as the coil moves through the magnetic field.

Post #29 suggests adding weight (that is, three pennies) to the cone to increase its sensitivity to vibrations. Three American pennies -- our smallest denomination coin -- weigh approximately 7.5 g (1/4 ounce).

John