I need to test the slew rate? how do I set up test.

nepdeep

Joined Sep 14, 2011
Hi, I need to test the slew rate of my electric load....how can I do that...at high currents....
I was thinking using the bench top power supply...it can deliver current as high as 20[A] but slew doesnot meet the slew rate of 5[A/us].

In some documents on the internet ....they mention something like using the power supply...then the regulator...and tantalum caps on output...then test the transient .....any ideas from someone who already went trhought test like this....

Note: I am testing not the power supply...but the electric load...if it meets my requirements of 5[A/us] and high current step eg 10[A] to 18[A]...etc... help needed please...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
All you should need is a switch in series with your load. Connect the switch, turn on the power supply and allow it to stabilize, then turn on the swtich. A power MOSFET makes a good switch for such an application. To calibrate your system, chose a load of the same current draw and known faster slew rate, and test your system with it before connecting your load. Your system should slew 3-4 times faster than what you expect from you load under test.