I need so info

nanobyte

Joined May 26, 2004
Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of designing a smart house system for my senior project at school. Could anybody give me some advice or point in the direction (in the form of websites) where I can find information on interfacing WIFI with a microcontroller(specifically the 68HC12).

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by nanobyte@May 12 2006, 04:12 PM
Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of designing a smart house system for my senior project at school. Could anybody give me some advice or point in the direction (in the form of websites) where I can find information on interfacing WIFI with a microcontroller(specifically the 68HC12).
[post=17027]Quoted post[/post]​
If you _must_ use wifi, then the easiest way to go would be to use wifi modules, such as digi connect wi-me or lantronix wiport. These would cost quite substantial, more if you have a lot of nodes to connect (room fixtures, lightings, elec. equipments, etc.). Not to mention the congestion on those limited wifi channels, blindspots for a large house and wasted power.

May I ask, why do you need wifi to communicate? Do you really need high speed comm for a smart house system? I've designed several similar systems and used either zigbee or custom wireless mesh for wireless comms and ethernet (for high speed link) or power line for wired comms (most customers really really love this).