i need schematic diagram and values of components

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by WINPINPH1, Sep 27, 2010.

1. WINPINPH1

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    i would like to create a project utilizing all 10 output of 4017b and using relay to switch on/off a 220vac. The load is only a 1 cellphone charger which i think has a very minimal current to use.

I want to know the specific values of different components specially the relay.

I hope someone could help me.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    If you would like to create a project, then why do you want someone else to do it for you?

There is so much left out of your initial project statement that it is nearly comical.

4017's don't source much current, so they would be unable to activate a relay's coil by themselves; they would need to drive MOSFET gates or BJT bases instead.

However, I really don't have a clue what you're trying to do.

WINPINPH1 likes this.
  3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Last I recall a 4017 was some sort of decade counter?

Yea, this ought to be a good one to hear more about.

---------------

Nevermind, some sort of pattern is falling into place by all these new member's posts.

Wanting to reduce a generator's speed

wanting to divide line voltage frequency down

another divider circuit to feed a power supply

and a few others along similar lines.

Perhaps they've been told the very, very first about PWM and are trying to come up with ways to save power without affecting output.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    WINPINPH1 likes this.
  4. WINPINPH1

Sep 27, 2010
    Please bear with me.
    i'm totally noob in creating a circuit from scratch.
    i found this circuit diagram which i think usefull for controlling the ac source to drive the cellphone charger.

http://www.4shared.com/document/VpRjk97m/Vendosw.html

or if you have any better schematic diagram please tell me.

i would like to know the specification of relay to use.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    What you want is SSRs. Solid State Relay's can be driven from a 4017, and start around 220VAC at 20A. If you need bigger they are available. I've bought used for $5-$10.

I agree we need more information. I've used 4017s for sequencers, you can get some ideas from this article.

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

WINPINPH1 likes this.
  6. WINPINPH1

Sep 27, 2010
    from the circuit i attached i want is to control the 220vac circuit.

when relay is close the cellphone charger that is plug will work. if the relay i open the cellphone charger will not work.

i have 10 different chargers for 10 output of 4017b.

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I fail to see why you would want to do such a thing.

Plug all of the chargers into a power strip, and be done with it.

If you only have one cell charger and many identical phones, I could see why you would want to multiplex the charger. However, what you're wanting to do just makes no sense.

8. WINPINPH1

Sep 27, 2010
    i have many different chargers for different cellphones.

the ac current flow is also controlled by a timer. I want to make a cellphone charging station. Customer will have to drop a coin and the charger will work for a certain period of time controlled by the timer.

the 4017 will controll the type of charger to use and also to minimize the electricity bill as well. If the all of the charger are working at once then i will accumulate a higher electricity bill.

9. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The image is to small to read anything on it.

Bertus

10. WINPINPH1

Sep 27, 2010
    [​IMG]

sorry please check again.

11. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

When the input switches are open you have open inputs on the counter.
    Use some 1 - 10K resistors from the input to ground, this will ensure a low input when the switches are open.

Bertus

12. WINPINPH1

Sep 27, 2010
    can you edit the picture for me where should i add the resistor you're suggesting pls?

13. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The resistors should be at the R , EN and clock (the triangle) inputs of the counter.
    A debounce on the clock would also help.

Bertus

14. WINPINPH1

Sep 27, 2010
    is this correct sir?

[​IMG]

15. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    So in effect you're selling electricity say, in a shopping mall.

You'll have a variety of chargers, hopefully one of which will fit a person's phone.

Somehow it's going to have to have a way to know which charger to energize when a coin is dropped.

Seems to me to get back your investment you'll have to do a lot of business, coin recognition devices are far from inexpensive.

Still don't know why the logic IC. One coin mechanism on each charger or do they select which charger first then drop a coin and only that one activates, then another person comes by, selects a different charger, drops a coin and that charger will also come on?

You could almost pay a person's salary to manually operate something like this and how are you going to know the time? Some phones charge in 30 minutes, others take hours. I suppose the customer is just going to wait while their phone charges?

16. WINPINPH1

Sep 27, 2010
    as of the moment i have no problem in setting up the time and coin operated machine.

the schematic has an led to determine which output is energized. basically drop coin, select the type of charger and then charge the phone.

[​IMG]

after i tried simulation. using 220vac and filament rated 240v at first output i got a busted filament second output i got a busted filament and a busted relay...i did not try the other output maybe the same.

what seems to be the problem? is it the relay?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  17. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Yes, all inputs are pulled down and made high at a keypress.

Bertus

18. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    1) Output 0 should be left unconnected, as you don't want to be powering a charger when the 4017 is reset. Use only outputs 1 through 9 instead.

2) R21 through R23 should be 10k resistors instead of 1k resistors.

3) Add 10nF (0.01uF) to 100nF (0.1uF) capacitors from the 4017 side of the switches to ground, and add a 1k resistor between the left side of the switches and 5v. This will help with switch de-bouncing.

4) 1k is too low of a resistance for the 4017 output to drive. Consider replacing the base resistors and the 2N3904's with a ULN2804; which is an 8-channel Darlington driver. You could use a single Darlington transistor with a 7.5k base resistor and a reverse EMF protection diode for the last remaining channel.

I have no idea why your simulation is failing, as you have not posted a complete schematic.

19. WINPINPH1

Sep 27, 2010
    1. so you mean sir i can utilize only 9 output?
    2. i can do it.
    3-4. This one i need help can you please edit the schematic diagram for me?

The diagram for 4017 is complete as my main concern is to drive a switch using relay.

[​IMG]