I need help

kit2hugh

Joined Sep 17, 2012
Hello. I am a complete novice at Circuit boards. I can reccognize most of the components but abbreviations loose me.

Well I have been given a Panasonic TH-37PV70AZ plasma TV. It is dead except for green light coming on and flashing for about 1 sec then staying constant. Checked power in fuses and capacitors I was told capacitors are the most common fault.( None are blown.)

After this the help I need is, I was wondering if there would be any one on this forum who would like to help me to be able to check the boards with an amp/volt meter to find the culprit. I am in no hurry, it is just a project I would like to do.

I wish my Dad was still here this was his trade but I did not want to know when he was around.

Thanks for reading

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Hello. I am a complete novice at Circuit boards. I can reccognize most of the components but abbreviations loose me.

Well I have been given a Panasonic TH-37PV70AZ plasma TV. It is dead except for green light coming on and flashing for about 1 sec then staying constant. Checked power in fuses and capacitors I was told capacitors are the most common fault.( None are blown.)

After this the help I need is, I was wondering if there would be any one on this forum who would like to help me to be able to check the boards with an amp/volt meter to find the culprit. I am in no hurry, it is just a project I would like to do.

I wish my Dad was still here this was his trade but I did not want to know when he was around.

Thanks for reading

Get a DVM and take the back off, post the pictures of the inside of the TV, then we can go from there...

PS got as far as this page for the service manual but cant seem to download it?
http://www.service-manuals-e.com/e/action/ShowInfo.php?classid=222&id=292932

Last edited:

kit2hugh

Joined Sep 17, 2012
Hi R!f@@
Here are some pictures, What I believe is the power board is out of the frame.

I hope you can see what you need to see.
Thanks for the help

If you cannot get to pictures let me know and perhaps I can e-mail them

C:\Documents and Settings\Hugh & Kitty\Desktop\TV Pictures

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Uh, a local drive can not be seen by other people, unless you have been thoroughly hacked by bad guys (and they are the only ones who could see it). You can upload pictures and other material as attachments on AAC. This is pretty universal for all forums. You can also use photobucket and other similar sites, but we prefer you keep it local, on AAC.

How to upload an attachment.

To attach a document or picture to a post

Click "Go Advanced" at the bottom of your post,

One of several options will pop up,

Click "Manage Attachments" much further at the bottom of your post,

To upload a file from your computer click "Browse", then select the file.

Schematics should be .gif or .png format, pictures should be .jpg. .jpg formats will fuzz out schematics, and should not be used for that purpose.

---------------

If you want to display this file there is an old thread I made,

How to Display Attachments Full Size

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Put everything back in order
power up and measure the DC voltages at the PSU secondary

Post ur results and do note where u measured them. Check schema first

kit2hugh

Joined Sep 17, 2012
Hi thanks for getting back to me. I have a digital Volt amp meter but do not know how to use it or where I measure the DC voltage at the PSU secondary.
Could you mark the picture where the PSU secondary is, And what setting I put the voltmeter at. Sorry I am a complete novice. Hugh

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Great..!

If u dunno how to use a DVM, then I am sorry to say u lack the knowledge to trouble shoot.

If I tell u, I'll be putting ur life at risk from high voltage..Sorry.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
DVMs in general are pretty basic, the only major mistake is to have it on the wrong reading for a measurement, such as ohms when you are measuring voltage on a power supply. Their chips also have magic blue smoke, you let that out and they stop working.

kit2hugh

Joined Sep 17, 2012
Where can I go to get the basic information to use the dvm. Could I try You tube, with what is on there could I learn.

I am in no hurry just like a problem to solve.

I will see what I can do then Get back to you. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Hugh

kit2hugh

Joined Sep 17, 2012
Hello again

I can solder, I used to help my father put together hi-fi amplifiers I can recognize the components I will learn about the digital volt meter. I am sure I can do it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Now I wish I had learnt more about electronics from my father. Bit late now

Thank you

Hugh