I need help, trying to fix my UPS

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mckayman, Apr 10, 2013.

  1. Mckayman

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Jun 22, 2009
    50
    0
    Hello everyone,

    I have a TrippLite Omni650LCD UPS. It is not under warranty since I acquired it second hand. It had been working just fine until recently. What happens is that the UPS will not power on when plugged in. If I press the power button the screen flashes for a second. During that brief second all of the default values are displayed as if normally powering up. However, it just does not start up. The surge protected outlets do supply power still. But the battery ones do not. The battery is GOOD. 100% sure it is not a battery problem. I've opened it up and have started poking around inside of it ( Unit is completely disconnected of course, battery removed as well ).

    What I have discovered is when I connect the ohm meter to the battery protected outlets, across the HOT and NEUTRAL. I get a value of 3.2 ohms. Ahhh, so something is shorted...it seems.

    I do have another tripplite UPS that works just fine. Curious I proceeded to do the same exact ohm test on it across the HOT and NETURAL on the battery side. Its reads in the M Ohm range as normal.

    So what do you think is going on with my poor OMNI650? :(
     
  2. Mckayman

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Jun 22, 2009
    50
    0
    Update: I've traced the 3.2 ohm, back to the HOT and NEUTRAL leads that come from the transformer. There are the leads that run the battery back up outlets.
     
  3. Mckayman

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Jun 22, 2009
    50
    0
    Update: I completely pulled the transformer out of the unit and connected the battery. Screen powered up and displayed correct information. I proceeded to plug the board in to the 120v socket. I can here the relays clicking on and of when connecting and disconnecting the 120v plug, screen also displays correct battery level and ac input, as well as if the battery is running the unit or if it is plugged in. Board appears to be just fine. It has to be a short in the secondary coil of the transformer.
     
Loading...