I need help to understand circuit

abhimanyu143

Joined Aug 25, 2014
I was trying to make circuit from morning . I made different circuits but I don't understand why thats circuit are useless
now I have decided. at night , in my dream I will ask to god, why I am not making right diagram If he will make circuit for me then definitely I will post the diagram here
I am feeling irritated , nervous,tired and funny .

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I was trying to make circuit from morning . I made different circuits but I don't understand why thats circuit are useless
now I have decided. at night , in my dream I will ask to god, why I am not making right diagram If he will make circuit for me then definitely I will post the diagram here
I am feeling irritated , nervous,tired and funny .
The reason that your circuits are useless is because you won't take the time to consider what it is your circuits are supposed to do.

If you want to ask God to do your work for you, then you can certainly go that route.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
look the following circuit that's for basic ALU
Ok, you have the ALU now, and then you have to adding the ram as 74LS89(64 bits x1) or HM6116(2Kb x8) or some others you like.

You may draw the blocks to show what you want in your CPU, and design one block by one block.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ok, you have the ALU now, and then you have to adding the ram as 74LS89(64 bits x1) or HM6116(2Kb x8) or some others you like.

You may draw the blocks to show what you want in your CPU, and design one block by one block.
He has the ALU? Sure doesn't look like it to me. It would appear that he thinks that using a CD4008 as an adder in one place and a subtractor in another place is done just by labeling one "ADDER" and the other "SUB". And that there is some meaning to the OR of the Carry-Out bits of the two adders, at least one of which is not being used. Then there is the issue of the numerous unconnected input pins. I'd be interested in the reasoning that leads to using a different logic operation on each pair of input bits.

And it makes little sense to go adding RAM when he still has no plan for how to fit the addressing and data paths into a coherent ISA.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
He has the ALU? Sure doesn't look like it to me. It would appear that he thinks that using a CD4008 as an adder in one place and a subtractor in another place is done just by labeling one "ADDER" and the other "SUB". And that there is some meaning to the OR of the Carry-Out bits of the two adders, at least one of which is not being used. Then there is the issue of the numerous unconnected input pins. I'd be interested in the reasoning that leads to using a different logic operation on each pair of input bits.

And it makes little sense to go adding RAM when he still has no plan for how to fit the addressing and data paths into a coherent ISA.
Yeah, that is ALU, a simply ALU, how complicated that you want him to have one, if he felt that is too simple then he can adding some more functions, do you respecting him to design a ALU like 8051 or 8088 or something like that, he have to building all the structures and modify later.

When he adding the ram and considering the data and address and adding some control unit then it will be helpful to reaching to the target more easier.

abhimanyu143

Joined Aug 25, 2014

I want to add static ram 32K , seven general purpose registers , accumulator and temporary register. I am using Ic 62256 for static Ram
I am using proteus software do you tell me which Ic is use for general purpose registers , accumulator and temporary register
he have to building all the structures and modify later..
yes I want to start with simple circuit than I will modify later

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I want to add static ram 32K , seven general purpose registers , accumulator and temporary register. I am using Ic 62256 for static Ram
I am using proteus software do you tell me which Ic is use for general purpose registers , accumulator and temporary register

yes I want to start with simple circuit than I will modify later
You can using one 62256 for data ram and another 62256(or HM6116,or 6264) for accumulator and other resisters, or you want to buy some old DRAM, but if you using DRAM then you will need the refresh circuit for DRAM.
I got 62256 maybe over 100 pcs.

abhimanyu143

Joined Aug 25, 2014
You can using one 62256 for data ram and another 62256(or HM6116,or 6264) for accumulator and other resisters, or you want to buy some old DRAM, but if you using DRAM then you will need the refresh circuit for DRAM.
I got 62256 maybe over 100 pcs.
First I want to make design on software. after that I will show you design when you will verify design then I will buy some Ics.
I did search on google and I read some good material

74Hc373 octal latch
62256 static Ram
74HC138 3 to 8 decoder

as you said I am using 62265Ics for accumulator and other registers
I need something or its enough for simple circuit
now I am making design I will you design later

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
First I want to make design on software. after that I will show you design then I will buy some Ics.
I did search on google and I read some good material

74Hc373 octal latch
62256 static Ram
74HC138 3 to 8 decoder

as you said I am using 62265Ics for accumulator and other registers
I need something or its enough for simple circuit
74HC244 for tri-state inputs.
74HC373 -- maybe you can check 74HC573(pin to pin in/out), the pins arrangements are more easy for layout.
You can decide how complicated of the CPU, you may refer to the internal structures of 8051 or some other uC or CPU.
I'm not sure the whole picture you want, but if you want the CPU can run then you still need an EEPROM, an oscillator circuit for crystal.

abhimanyu143

Joined Aug 25, 2014
74HC244 for tri-state inputs.
74HC373 -- maybe you can check 74HC573(pin to pin in/out), the pins arrangements are more easy for layout.
You can decide how complicated of the CPU, you may refer to the internal structures of 8051 or some other uC or CPU.
I'm not sure the whole picture you want, but if you want the CPU can run then you still need an EEPROM, an oscillator circuit for crystal.
many experts say whenever you going to design complex circuit start with simple circuit and then Add more function, select some component than make small circuit ,then add more component and increase complexity of circuit
I am following this advice for batter result . I am just trying to make for block diagram with connection
I am using following component
Program memory
data memory
register R1
Accumulator
temporary register
instruction register
program counter and Alu is not present in this diagram but I have already design ALU

I have made some connection
If the diagram 1 does make any sense then I want to modify that diagram ?

I don't understand the connection

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
many experts say whenever you going to design complex circuit start with simple circuit and then Add more function, select some component than make small circuit ,then add more component and increase complexity of circuit
I am following this advice for batter result .
That was my experience and it also into my DNA.

I am just trying to make for block diagram with connection
I am using following component
Program memory
data memory
register R1
Accumulator
temporary register
instruction register
program counter and Alu is not present in this diagram but I have already design ALU
I have made some connection
If the diagram 1 does make any sense then I want to modify that diagram ?
I don't understand the connection
In the beginning that I hope you to reach to this step, now you already reached here, so you have to start over from the beginning back to the software as op code and registers.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Do you have any experience about the assembly language, if you didn't then you better start to study a easy one as 8051, and don't talking about the C code here, c code can't leading you to the target.

abhimanyu143

Joined Aug 25, 2014
Do you have any experience about the assembly language, if you didn't then you better start to study a easy one as 8051, and don't talking about the C code here, c code can't leading you to the target.
I have experience about assembly code , I have assembler 8051 Ide

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yeah, that is ALU, a simply ALU, how complicated that you want him to have one, if he felt that is too simple then he can adding some more functions, do you respecting him to design a ALU like 8051 or 8088 or something like that, he have to building all the structures and modify later.

When he adding the ram and considering the data and address and adding some control unit then it will be helpful to reaching to the target more easier.
I don't care how simple the ALU is. I do care that, however simple, that it has a chance of working. Have you LOOKED at the ALU that is proposed? Most of the parts aren't even connected!

I still strongly recommend that he work through the Nand2Tetris project. You want a simple ALU, that's about as simple as it gets. A 16-bit Adder, without carry-in or carry-out, and a 16-bit bitwise AND. A few MUXes and inverters to selectively zero or negate the two 16-bit inputs and the output and that's it. The first project in N2T is basic logic blocks starting with the NAND and building everything else from that. The second project ends with the construction of that ALU. The third builds up counters, registers, and RAM building from the D-type FF and the logic blocks from the first chapter. The fourth introduces machine language and constructs a simple instruction set architecture (ISA). The fifth builds a CPU and then a complete system architecture based on the ISA. All five projects can be done in about four hours.

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I don't care how simple the ALU is. I do care that, however simple, that it has a chance of working. Have you LOOKED at the ALU that is proposed? Most of the parts aren't even connected!

I still strongly recommend that he work through the Nand2Tetris project. You want a simple ALU, that's about as simple as it gets. A 16-bit Adder, without carry-in or carry-out, and a 16-bit bitwise AND. A few MUXes and inverters to selectively zero or negate the two 16-bit inputs and the output and that's it. The first project in N2T is basic logic blocks starting with the NAND and building everything else from that. The second project ends with the construction of that ALU. The third builds up counters, registers, and RAM building from the D-type FF and the logic blocks from the first chapter. The fourth introduces machine language and constructs a simple instruction set architecture (ISA). The fifth builds a CPU and then a complete system architecture based on the ISA. All five projects can be done in about four hours.
I should say that you offering a good idea, if the TS accept what you are talking about that's good, it is depends on the TS, you should persuading him to do.

abhimanyu143

Joined Aug 25, 2014
Although I suspect I know where this will go, I would recommend that you work through the first several projects in the Nand2Tetris project described in my blog:
I have read top five pdf file link https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=cr,ssl#q=nand2tetris pdf

Chapter 1 tell the basic of gates and their truth table like AND , OR gate
Chapter 2 tell the basic of ADDER , ALU and their truth table
Chapter 3 tell the basic of register , memory and counter
Chapter 4 tell the basic of machine language , command and addressing mode
Chapter 5 tell the basic of computer architecture , there are some short notes for cpu , data memory , instruction memory
I did not understand how to connect basic component of processor

we can't do much for you until you more fully define your instruction set architecture.
I don't understand what do you mean , If you are asking , how do you make instruction set than I can explain

Look the post #32 there are some component and I just want to assemble them. I just want to make circuit where i can fetch instruction , I can decode and execute the instruction . I know I need program memory, data memory , program counter, instruction decoder , accumulator, two general purpose register , two temporary register and ALU . I am just trying to make simple circuit, after that I will add more function like stack pointer ,psw register , extra memory
All I know but I don't understand how to connect all component together

abhimanyu143

Joined Aug 25, 2014
thanks for your help. I have already read lot of theory . And I just want to understand only one topics

How does processor execute instruction ?
I just want know How does processor execute instruction I already explained all component .
before asking question I did google search for instruction execution
Instruction fetch , decode and execute
processor has control unit that execute instruction. control unit generate necessary control signal that execute instruction

I don't understand how does control unit execute instruction , how does processor execute instruction
If you want to ask me any question before help me then please Ask me, like how large your instruction word?, how many bit for source and destination ?I will answer , I just want to make control unit that will execute some instruction

Attachments

Last edited: