I need help choosing hardware!!

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by JohnVickers, Dec 3, 2008.

1. JohnVickers

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Hey everyone,

I have a nonlinear system of equations solver for a particular situation that I have coded in C. It runs pretty fast, but before looking at implimenting the function in an FPGA, I would like to see how fast it runs in a stand alone processor that dosn't have to deal with operating system, etc.

Right now my compiled code is about 70 kB, and I will need about another 80 kB at run time for dynamically allocated arrays.

Can anyone suggest a cheap microcontroller with sufficent memory, capable of double percision trig functions (sin, cos, tan2, acos, asin, atan), and is programmable from C code?

Thanks for your input!

John Vickers

2. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    How cheap? There are demo boards you buy and load the code onto. Look at ST ARM Cortex or AVR32 or other 32-bit system

3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    This is a dubious request. The fact of the matter is that a desktop PC running Windows XP is going to run rings around any single board computer like an ARM or an AVR 32 you can put together.

The AVR32 runs at 33 MHz vs. 2.4 GHz for my five year old Pentium 4! No comparison.

4. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    The AVR32 can run with a 150MHz clock at 210 DMIPS. There are some ARMs that run over 600MHz (1200 DMIPS) see the Beagleboard which also has a TMS320 430 MHz DSP onboard so your Pentium 4 might see some competition soon.

If the OP just wants to benchmark his code then he can use a reasonably fast SBC. One question would be whether the OP would write his own optimized math libraries or does he plan on buying them. As far as using a PC, the OP can use Linux and the "time" command.

5. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    You may be right. Which AVR32 were you thinking of? I should have said the UC3A or UC3B run at that speed. Don't know about the AP7000 family parts.

6. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    Yep I was thinking the AP7000 series AVR32s.

7. sara_kuruna

Aug 25, 2008