I need help and I don't even know what kind...

Mrastra610p

Joined Feb 5, 2011
Hi...

I have an idea for a device...and I haven't a clue what direction I should go to find someone to build it for me.

It's not complicated, nor difficult..(for the right person)

I simply need someone to take an existing electronic device..and modify it in such a way that it communicates with another devices. Both devices are wireless.

Similiar to pushing a button on a tv remote and make the coffee maker start.
(it's not that elementary nor that pointless...)

Who or where should I go to find a person that I could enlist (pay) to build a device to my specs?

I know Radio Shack carries a full line of electronic components (diodes, PCB's, rectifiers..etc..) I guess I need the person that buys these and builds things....

Problem is I haven't a clue who that would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mr. Astra610p

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Mr. Astra,

Your detailed specifications are quite simple. Just deposit $10,000 to my Paypal account at <deleted> and we can get started.

John

Last edited:

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
If all you need is to turn on/off another appliance, try Google - remote electrical outlet
Why build when you can buy ready made.
Of course that won't work if both are wireless.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What is the device that you have, and what device do you want it to communicate with?
Do you know what frequencies these devices communicate on?
Do you know what the communication protocol is for the two (or more) devices?

Something that may seem trivial from a laypersons' perspective may turn out to be somewhat nightmarish.

Mrastra610p

Joined Feb 5, 2011
First, thanks for the replies.

For conversations sake, let's say I'm talking about using a remote from my wireless mouse...and I want to open my garage door by clicking a particular button.

This is the type of operation I wish to have created.
(for conversations sake)

What I am seeking here, is advice on what direction i would head in, to locate an individual that has the knowledge to accomplish this.

I don't wish to involve a firm that builds prototypes as this would exceed my cash investment desire as well as dilute profits that this device might have....

I just need some direction on where to find an individual that has the knowledge to do this type of work...

If I have a broken bone..I'll see a doctor... If I have a problem with my car, I go to a mechanic...if I need someone to merge 2 wireless devices I would go to ........who?

It sucks to have what I feel is a very feasible & useful device idea, and no knowledge as how to move forward.

thanks again for your time..

Mr. Astra

What is the device that you have, and what device do you want it to communicate with?
Do you know what frequencies these devices communicate on?
Do you know what the communication protocol is for the two (or more) devices?

Something that may seem trivial from a laypersons' perspective may turn out to be somewhat nightmarish.

blueroomelectronics

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Old X10 stuff can do this sort of thing cheaply albeit unreliably, better stuff does exist you should hunt around in a home automation forum. ZigBee & ZWave are really nice wireless solutions.

I'm currently working on an automation bridge with Ethernet / ZigBee / RS232,422,485 / IR and some relays & inputs.