I need an Oscope

"I picked up my digitising HP 54501A (100 MHz, quad channel) from a used test equipment store nearby me. (They do exist!) It cost £150 including one probe, that was about $200 back then. Have a look around for one. It's been very useful and after dusting it out, it works well."

Holy mackerel. That is a good deal fer sure. I laid out quadruple the price of your rig, to order a puny dual-trace 30Mhz 'scope whose main redeeming value is that it happens to be new.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
"I picked up my digitising HP 54501A (100 MHz, quad channel) from a used test equipment store nearby me. (They do exist!) It cost £150 including one probe, that was about $200 back then. Have a look around for one. It's been very useful and after dusting it out, it works well."

Holy mackerel. That is a good deal fer sure. I laid out quadruple the price of your rig, to order a puny dual-trace 30Mhz 'scope whose main redeeming value is that it happens to be new.
There are a few limitations though - it's not perfect.

Only has a 10 MS/s real time sampling rate, effectively limiting single shot bandwidth to about 1 MHz. But I don't look for transients often, so it doesn't. Also, it only has two ADCs, channel 1+2 share an ADC, as do channels 3+4. You can just use channels 1 and 4 to overcome this. And the refresh rate is limited to 60 Hz. But other than that, it's a brilliant scope: almost everything about it is precisely engineered. You can set the trigger in 100µV intervals, and it WILL trigger on such a difference. It even has pattern and state analysis triggers, plus a video trigger (extremely useful for my OSD development.) It will measure a clock at at least 300 MHz if not more, although voltage readings are no longer accurate. So, very nice, and for a very agreeable price. :)

I was very pleased when I opened it up to clean it out (it had started to over heat so I needed to get rid of the dust.) The power supply was an example of over-engineering for the better:

The number of capacitors in it is amazing...

So, all I can do is highly recommend old digitising scopes. If I were to upgrade, I would go for a HP 54600B, as those have a higher sampling rate and refresh rate.

Attachments

Last edited:
You did luck out on that buy, Tom, without a doubt. Good deals like that don't show up often. Also, I wouldn't have thought that an overheating problem could be resolved simply by cleaning out dust. Good thing you did that yourself, as a repair shop would likely have charged a small fortune for the same easy fix.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
You did luck out on that buy, Tom, without a doubt. Good deals like that don't show up often. Also, I wouldn't have thought that an overheating problem could be resolved simply by cleaning out dust. Good thing you did that yourself, as a repair shop would likely have charged a small fortune for the same easy fix.
The store I went to had hundreds! A room with scopes just stacked one upon another - along with signal generators, logic analyers, spectrum analysers... you name it, and if it's 10 years or older, they had it. A Tek dual channel 150 MHz analog scope for £120! (I was seriously considering that one, but the digital quad channel won me over for the extra £30 and slight drop in bandwidth.) Old military, education and corporate surplus mostly, all in good condition. The scope I bought was cal'd in '06; I voided the calibration by opening it. (Doesn't really bother me anyway, it seems accurate enough.)

Also, I bought my power supply from them. £45 bought a 0-35V 0-3A CC/CV power supply. A Tagasaki power supply, made in Japan. Has a massive transformer in it and weighs a ton. It is a "GM035-3"; interestingly, it was apparently cheap because of a simple typographical error at the factory - it was supposed to be called "TM035-3", and as T and G are very close on a typical QWERTY keyboard, I can see the plausibility in that explanation.

Well Tom you have just described an electronics hobbyist's equivalent of a toy shop. I would probably wind up buying way more than I could reasonably afford in such a place, after spending a few hours just wandering the aisles, checking out the gear.

Maybe when next I'm in the UK, I might send you a PM asking where that used electronics shop is located. In the meantime I had better start saving up ha ha.