I need a Timer circuit.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bundick, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bundick

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I have an old Air Compressor. The Pressure switch died a long time ago.
    Now I just turn the AC off and one. It's annoying to listen to that thing rattling all the time.

Isn't there some Timer Circuit I can build that will turn on the AC for 3 minutes, then drop out the Relay, wait five minutes, and repeat?

What would you guys do?
  2. Bychon

Mar 12, 2010
    I'd install a proper pressure switch. You're playing with death unless you have a safety valve you didn't tell us about.
  3. bundick

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Good thought.
    Yes it has a Safety valve set to pop-off at 70 Lbs or so. It was supposed to go to 90 Psi but when that Pressure switch failed I thought it best to ask a little less of it.

I thought if I had a relay in the 110 Circuit (black wire. or both, it don't matter)
    Then a timer on the Relay, that would turn the AC on and off intermittently so I wouldn't have to listen to that thing or get up from what I'm doing to turn it off, and in a bit, get up and turn it on again.
    What do you think?
  4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I would ask around to friends for a spare.

But if you were to spend the time to set up the timer and such, you should just replace the pressure switch.

Ever see one of these things let go?

No good.

A co-worker of mine, years past, thought the compressor was running for an awful long time. He walked over to inspect the problem.

I have never SEEN so much blood from one person. Femoral artery was cut. He lived, but only because we were 10 feet from him when it happened.

What was I saying? Oh yeah, Go get yourself a proper pressure switch.