I need a simple voltage conversion circuit

hewad

Joined Sep 26, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to design a simple circuit which will take a 0-5 volt control voltage and convert it to a 6-12 volt output. I was thinking of a voltage to frequency and then frequency to voltage conversion. Is there any IC which will do both on one chip? I need very small output power, in the range of only 10ma. Any other design ideas will be appreciated.

It isn't necessary that the voltage be very exact, as long as the output doesn't go below 6 volts or over 12 volts. I don't really care about linearity also as long as the voltage is basically increasing with increasing control voltage.

Thanks,

hewad

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to design a simple circuit which will take a 0-5 volt control voltage and convert it to a 6-12 volt output. I was thinking of a voltage to frequency and then frequency to voltage conversion. Is there any IC which will do both on one chip? I need very small output power, in the range of only 10ma. Any other design ideas will be appreciated.

It isn't necessary that the voltage be very exact, as long as the output doesn't go below 6 volts or over 12 volts. I don't really care about linearity also as long as the voltage is basically increasing with increasing control voltage.

Thanks,

hewad
A couple of op-amps should do the trick.

What power supply source were you intending to use?

hgmjr

hewad

Joined Sep 26, 2006
I would like to use just a 24VDC positive supply voltage since the main PWM board I'm trying to control needs that for it's relays. I can step that down to whatever I need with a simple 78XX voltage regulator IC.

I'll be honest and say I really know very little about op-amps. I learned it once and then haven't used them in years. Do you have a link to a similar circuit which might use a single supply op-amp or an idea of what to "Google" for?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
How about using a 6.2V or 6.8V zener and a resistor to shift the level? It will only go from 6.2V to 11.2V or 6.8V to 11.8V, if that is sufficient for your purposes...

hewad

Joined Sep 26, 2006
Sometimes the easiest solutions are the hardest to see. I think that may actually work. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out. Thanks