I need a simple pulse activated circuit.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by illusive, Jul 21, 2015.

1. illusive

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2015
    Hello everyone!
    I need a simple pulse activated circuit. I have set up an op amp comparator which output goes high just for a split second. I need a circuit that will hold that high output level for some time (minute or more). I thing something with a 555 timer will do the job, but i'm not very familiar with that IC so i can't choose the right circuit.
    How about this circuit ?
    monostable_image.jpg

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    If your trigger input is a negative-going one (e.g. 5v dropping to 0V then back to 5V) you can apply it directly to pin2 0f the 555. If not, you will need a transistor stage to invert the trigger first.

3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Why not reverse the input connections to the comparator so that it outputs a negative going pulse? DUH!

4. illusive

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2015
    OK, so do pulse to pin2 must be going from positive to negative voltage. MikeML, this would be the simplest solution.
    Is that all? So pin 5 is left unconnected and i just put whatever capacitor and resistor pair for the time i want the output of the 555 to be high?
    Also, lets say i want to interrupt the positive output, will a button that shorts the resistor do it?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Can you follow this:?

10.gif

does it do what you want? Look at the polarity of the inputs?

Obvious improvement: add hysteresis to the comparator.

Does the comparator need a pull-up resistor?

Did I forget the RESET?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    absf likes this.
  6. illusive

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2015
    Yes i can, thanks!

7. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    For minute-long timing periods, use the CMOS LMC555 version. It handles large timing capacitors better.

ak

8. illusive

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2015
    In inverting comparator if i want to add a 1Mohm resistor for a hysteresis where do i connect it? Between the output and the positive input or between the output and the negative input ?

9. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Positive.