i need a pic programmer....

leonheard

Joined Jan 8, 2013
i need a pic 16f84 programmer, i dont have a standart rs232 com port neither a printer connector in my pc, but i bought a usb to rs232 serial converter, ( i read in some forums that it wont work in programming ) not sure about that.

can u give me some links for a simple or advance diy programming schematics?

it doesnt need to be veeery good, just some basic so i can learn more about pics, and stuff...

thanks

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Get a PICKit 2 and save everybody, mostly yourself, a TON of headaches.

(Spinnaker will suggest a PICKit 3, but when you need a 3, you'll probably want features from both anyway)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Let him build a RS232 programmer if he wants to.

Look for a schematic which injects 12V externally, and then do that, either with a wall adapter (pretty dumb for 1mA), or with batteries.

Use a joulethief to generate the 12V :)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Let him build a RS232 programmer if he wants to.
We have no ability to prevent him from building it if he so chooses, but since he asked, we are attempting to give him a solution for what we feel is a better solution, especially considering that the USB -> RS-232 converters don't usually work for these things....

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
We have no ability to prevent him from building it if he so chooses, but since he asked, we are attempting to give him a solution for what we feel is a better solution, especially considering that the USB -> RS-232 converters don't usually work for these things....
How can they work? These old PICs need 12V programming voltage.
It's not that difficult however to build a RS232 programmer.

The PICKIT3 costs about $50.

We don't know the OPs budget and what he wants to do with 16f84A

It is not a good PIC in my opinion, even if you can build some simple circuits with it.

Get a 16f1824 or 16f1827 or better a 18F chip.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I agree with the others. I HIGHLY recommend just buying a PICkit2. It's a cheap one-time cost of $35 and it'll last you for YEARS. I was like you once--didn't want to spend money on a programmer and wanted to build my own. But then I decided to buy a PICkit2 and it was DEFINITELY worth it. I can't recommend it more. Even if $35 seems like a lot right now, since it will last you a long time it will actually save you money. My recommendation? Just buy it. It's the best thing you'll ever do.

leonheard

Joined Jan 8, 2013
hahaha sorry if i bother you guys xD am just so interested in electronics, and i have money, but i wanted to build it myself ( dunno it makes it more interesting and i learn more about it :D ) i will try few times to do it myself, if i dont succeed then i will buy that ggoddamm pickit2 xD thanks for ur comments/ time and help.

have all a nice day ;)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
OK here it is shown how to supply Vpp externally:
http://www.pablin.com.ar/electron/circuito/mc/ppp/index.htm

Of course doing it that way is bad. You do not need 7805 or any power supply.
Use the regular RS232 circuit. You only need to supply 12V at 1 mA.

Take for instance this jouletheif circuit. It works without a transformer. One BC327 or 2n3906 is used. It is not difficult to build.

Here also some JDM circuits. You have to invert Vpp. And you do not need a transistor neccessarily. I did not use one in my design.
http://perso.wanadoo.es/pictob/jdm.htm

My reason was the same, I just wanted to do it for exercize purpose. Took me some hours!

I also have switch on the programmer, so I can use the jouletheif to power the circuit as well. It produces 14 volts or so, but the voltage goes down if it is only loaded with a few mA. The PIC isn't destroyed because it has clamping diodes, and they will only conduct a few mA.

Attachments

I use a PICSTART, its rs232 and pretty old but it works very well and there is not setting up just put pin 1 of the pic to pin 1 of the ZIF socket and it works.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
hahaha sorry if i bother you guys xD am just so interested in electronics, and i have money, but i wanted to build it myself ( dunno it makes it more interesting and i learn more about it :D ) i will try few times to do it myself, if i dont succeed then i will buy that ggoddamm pickit2 xD thanks for ur comments/ time and help.

have all a nice day ;)
Buy a pickit 3 and then build a pickit 2. There is a clone of a pickit 2 if you search. It is supposed to use the Microchip code.

Then you will have built your own and have best of both worlds a Pickit 3 and PicKit 2.