I need a new tablet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, Jan 18, 2015.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I lost my AT&T 4G/LTE 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. I need a replacement. I'm looking for an upgrade if such a thing exists, for <$200. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something that fits in the pocket. The 7" galaxy fit, but anything bigger I think wouldn't. 4G tablets, no wifi-only tablets.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Check out Micro Center, they have a new line that is very reasonable. Their brand is Winbooks, come with Win8 (which is the environment Win8 was meant for). You could probably get yours for just over $100, but $200 has loads of memory and features.

strantor likes this.
  3. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    1/2 way between, have samsung note 2 though a little heavy for the shirt pocket.

current device is note 4 and should be able to get that on a (phone) plan of some description

4. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    WOW! $60 for a tablet with a quad core processor, Windows 8.1 FULL (NOT RT), HDMI port, FULL SIZE USB port, and a year subsription of Office 365! That's the most reasonable deal I can remember seeing in a long time. That's only $5 more than a year subscription to Office 365. I just ordered one as a raspberry Pi replacement. Unfortunately though, it doesn't have 4G LTE so I'm still in the market for something like a Nexus 7, G-Pad 7.0, or Galaxy Tab 7.0. If I could just find a knockoff/clone of one of those, that would be awesome.

5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Add wifi tethering to your phone. Usually about $10/month.

6. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    I considered it. The way my AT&T account is set up, it'm sorta damned if I do, damned if I don't. I have 2 separate plans; one for my phone and one for my tablet. The tablet is 3Gb/mo for $30/mo. The phone is like $50/mo for phone + 300Mb/mo. pathetic amount of data on the phone. If I want to combine my accounts into a "shared" plan, they tack on another $10/mo, and my total shared data would go down to 2gb/mo. So I pay $10/mo more, for 1Gb less data. And I use almost 3gb/mo, so I would have to go up to go one tier up and pay even more on top of that. And then my phone battery would suffer from all the hotspot demand.

I considered using a dedicated hotspot with the $60 tablet, but I already look like a dork with my phone on my hip and my tablet in my pocket. I don't need a hotspot (plus the lipo pack it would need) hanging off my belt.

I just bought a used direct replacement on ebay.

7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    You are absolutely right, that is the guy we make fun of too.