I need a level sensor for my HOH Cell design

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by cat3rn, Oct 14, 2008.

1. cat3rn

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 3, 2008
    I want to automate my filling of the chamber using the outer sight tube. Any thoughts?

2. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    If the fuel reservoir is vented, the way I would do this is with a pressure transducer at the top end of a hose/pipe outside the reservoir with its lower end submerged to the bottom of the reservoir.
    Works better on tall reservoirs than in shallow ones, of course.
    As the fuel level decreases, the pressure reading follows.

Atmospheric pressure sensors (and intake manifold pressure sensors) are found in modern automobiles, and at the wreck yards are nearly $0 for evaluation.

Washing machines have a much simpler adjustable bellows sensor and a microswitch (or perhaps new ones have a transducer) to detect precisely the selected level of water when filling in order to start the cycle. Unbeatable option if you only want an alarm when level reaches a point, and no level monitoring.

Even another simple way of doing it is with a plain potentiometer whose shaft will follow a float that turns the shaft, like these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314%2Bu5IiXbL._SL500_AA274_.jpg

http://ccspecialties.org/shortfuel.jpg

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/9a/07/79_1_b.JPG

These work very well for shallow tanks too. Just attach a potentiometer to the shaft instead of the pointer. No complications and ultra reliable, cheap and simple.

Edited: added---> About refilling; avoiding the complications of solenoids, pumps and controls to fill, the ultrasimple system of a hose that keeps a desired level is used to maintain water level in basins for pets, livestock, aquariums...

But if you prefer complex solutions, there is plenty of them to choose from.

Miguel

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  3. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Looks like you've got a sight glass. Why not use it with an LED and photosensor?

4. cat3rn

Jun 3, 2008
    It's actually a 3/8 ID vinyl tubing. How would I set the LED and Photosensor up to turn on a H20 pump and then turn it off when the water hits a certain level?

I am guessing that the LED on on side of the vinyl tubing and the photosensor on the other and the pump wired off the photosensor. Do you have a circuit that will run it also?

5. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    You can angle the LED and sensor so the sensor will change state depending on the presence or absence of fluid. You'll be making use of the refractory properties of the fluid.

Use the sensor to bias a transistor. If the transistor can handle the current, it can control a DC pump directly. Otherwise, it can control the pump via a relay or another transistor or triac.

What are the rated current and voltage of your pump?

6. electricme

Oct 15, 2008
    Hello Cat3rn,
    Here are a couple of internet addresses you could try for sensering water levels.
    http://www.free-energy-info.uk then browse right down to the bottom of the page , look for Water Level, this is a link to vellerman who have a WL kitt you could build.
    If you carnt find it, search for k2639_rev1.pdf

Or search for free-energy Patric J. Kelly and browse in there

hope I have been some help to you :)
    jim

7. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    The photosensor suggestion from thingmaker works in a much more reliable way if you place a floating sphere inside the clear sight tube.

The transmissive or reflective types of photointerrupters are found in fax machines and printers to detect the presence of paper, will work fine for your application.
    Miguel

8. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    :confused::confused: Didn't this thread had a different beginning related to set an alarm at low level :confused::confused:
    Or I lost my head already ? :(

9. cat3rn

Jun 3, 2008