I need a 1KHz 20mVp-p sine wave oscillator?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by samy555, Nov 3, 2015.

1. samy555

Thread Starter Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Hello
    I searched in Google and found many circuits but no one of them worked properly especially when the output is lowered to 20mVp-p. I have an oscilloscope of 50 MHz BW. I need that circuit to be used as a function generator to examine some low frequency preamplifiers. I have built many circuits but they all had a defect So I hope that one of the members may provide me a proven circuit.
    Thank you

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Post #2 in this thread. Connect a Pot to V(d), and take the output from the wiper. Alternatively, make a fixed two-resistor voltage divider that drops the natural output voltage of any sine oscillator (which will approach a peak-to-peak voltage just less than the dc supply voltage) to 20mV, and buffer it with another opamp, if buffering is needed.

Design equations are Fig 9 in this TI app note

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    What was the defect? The circuit you describe is so basic that the defect is the important qualifying parameter.

ak

4. PeterCoxSmith

Feb 23, 2015
    you could set the frequency with a square wave signal, apply a filter to produce a sine wave, and use an amplifier to set the amplitude. With such a small signal choose a low noise op amp.

Wendy likes this.
  5. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    What is it about them that is 'not working properly'? Can you show links to the ones you've tried?

Ken

6. samy555

May 24, 2010
    Thank you Mike
    Can I use LM339 quad comparator?

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    How pure does this signal need to be? If not very exact the project is ridiculously easy, if you need a pure sine wave then it is just easy.

8. ramancini8

Jul 18, 2012
    Build any oscillator mentioned in TI paper; then filter the output heavily, and you will obtain a pretty pure sine wave. The amplitude depends on many things, but it can be divided down with a couple of resistors to obtain your desired amplitude. Use AGC to obtain a fixed amplitude (remember that the AGC BW must be much greater than the signal frequency.

9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Comparators have an open collector (aka digital output). What you want is an operational amplifier with bipolar supplies to give you an analog output.

10. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    You may try LF356 or LF357 to do the job:
    Sinewave Vin → VR(Pot) Voltage divider → LF356 inverter amplifier with negative gain
    Sinewave Vin → Fixed Resistor Voltage Divider → LF356 inverter amplifier with negative gain
    If you could choose a good value for the voltage divider then maybe the negative gain is no need.

11. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Again Samy "What is it about them that is 'not working properly'? Can you show links to the ones you've tried?"

Ken

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The inexpensive LM324 would be perfect I suspect. Less than a quarter from many sources, will operate at 3VDC.

13. samy555

May 24, 2010
    I've downloaded these circuits then printed on paper
    I do not recall the links
    Just remember that the last circuit was from the site "handy dandy"
    I finally decided to buy a function generator next month
    thank you all