I just heard about the 4' Neon Tubes and Ballasts being banned.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bundick, Mar 18, 2012.

1. bundick

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 19, 2007
    A friend in FL went to replace a Ballast in his Garage 4' tube Florescent light.
    He was told you cannot get the Ballast's any longer. Some Fed Rule.
    So he has a bunch of Tubes (and I do as well) that are never going to be legal.

Have any of you guys made up a ballast Circuit that the Fed's wont attack?:rolleyes:

I'd sure like a link to that. I think I have six or seven 4' dual tube fixtures waiting on Ballasts.

Hoping for some help here.:)
  2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    I ran into a problem trying to buy 40 watt 4' tubes. The only 4' tubes I could find were the 32 watt. From what I was told, the big fat T12s and their magnetic ballasts are going the way of the dodo bird. The skinny T-8 tubes and electronic ballasts are what are available now. How long that lasts, who knows. Google "T12 Phase out" for more info.

Nov 30, 2010
    Dear Bundick,
    Please notice that Neon lights are very different from fluorescent lamps.

and again, I learn something almost every day on this site!
    I still have 36 new T12 tubes. Must read more to find out if I won't be able to buy electronic ballasts for them.
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Do you have a source for this info?
  5. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    A few years back while I was working as an electrician I came across a brochure at a supply house I got a lot of materials from for work. The brochure stated that the T-12 lamps and magnetic ballasts were being phased out due to new energy efficiency requirements set forth by the US Fed gov't. The brochure was made by a lighting manufacturer like Lithonia I believe, cannot remember exactly. I do not recall if they stated that the electronic ballasts were being phased out as well, but it only makes sense to since you will no longer be able to get the lamps.

I'll see if I can find an info source or something.
  6. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Google "t12 lighting phase out" It takes you to a pdf and for some reason, I cant copy and paste the link. It is the first hit on google.
  7. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Yup. I saw that. I also remember something about the incandescent bulbs being phased out as well. The DoE is really trying to get all these inefficient devices off the grid.
  8. bundick

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 19, 2007
    In my work I went into large buildings. Boeing Plants have a lot of that kind of lighting and all the Federal buildings are lit by florescents.
    It's no wonder the Feds think that stuff is expensive.
    What is a wonder is the lack of wording on the Replacements for the Florescents.
  9. Will D

Mar 19, 2012
    Once I came to know about this.Neon Tubes has been Banned.This may be due to their improper disposal.
  10. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I don't think Las Vegas will be quite as awesome with only LED lighting. :(
  11. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    No neon at all?
    Of any sort??
    Outrageous!!! :mad:
  12. Lundwall_Paul

Oct 18, 2011
    I see ballast for 40 watt fluorescent lamps on line. My knowledge of both neon and fluorescent lighting is very limited. But I would say that first you need to know what you have florescent or neon as they are different. Second I would look at the suspect part to see it there is a part number on it and google that number. If you determine it is neon light go to a sign dealer or to an electrical supply dealer. who does this for a living, he will fix you up.
  13. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    To Will D: Are you sure you aren't confusing Neon with fluorescent lights. Neon tubes have a very high voltage transformer connected to the two ends of the tube and are usually used in advertising. Fluorescent tubes, on the other hand, are generally used for interior lighting. Other special applications of fluorescent lamps, such as UV, also exist. These lamps use a ballast which does two things. It provides a high voltage to start the ionization of the internal gas, then provides a means of limiting the current to a desired value.
  14. jimkeith

Oct 26, 2011
    If you saw it on ebay, I can understand as much of that stuff tends to be old stock.
  15. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Wanna bet? While it's been a few years since my last trip out west it's only been a few days since my last drive thru the cross roads of the world: Times Square New York.

Just about everything is converted over to LEDs now. The signage is no longer made of signs but video screens (which I am assuming are LED based due to their sheer size).

The place has never popped as much as it does now.

Another example is Harrahs in Atlantic City. Their new hotel is some 40 stories tall. Each floor has a string of RGB LEDs and they make 40 story tall videos down the side of their building with them.

Weirdest thing you ever saw as it is literally a thin strip of light every floor, yet your brain fills in all the other details and you perceive a full wall of image. You don't "see" it yet you "know" it is there. Incredibly strange to watch... fun to just enjoy.