I just could not help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That is available in the software, ETO has one over there. In fact they have a whole slew of "buttons" that aren't in use here.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That is available in the software, ETO has one over there. In fact they have a whole slew of "buttons" that aren't in use here.
Actually I think it's an add-in designed for the software, but I don't believe it is included by default.

As for adding value or changing settings based on the number of likes/dislikes, that'd probably require custom coding that the AAC owner/s may or may not want to do.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... that'd probably require custom coding that the AAC owner/s may or may not want to do.
I think it could just be done manually by the mods by keeping an eye on and responding to that ratio. It's not a daily problem around here, more like once a year or so.

The problem I see with this particular situation is that no one post is the problem, and the poster is more-or-less behaving. The problem is post after post in thread after thread.

Maybe the button we need is not "dislike", it's "go ask Google" or "read a book". If you keep asking too many easily-Googled questions, put a limit on posting new threads.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I think it could just be done manually by the mods by keeping an eye on and responding to that ratio. It's not a daily problem around here, more like once a year or so.
I guess it depends on what privileges the moderators have, whether they can actually limit one's posting privileges.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Limit posting rights if a user's like/dislike ratio falls too low.
It sounds more like a popularity measurement, rather than a right/wrong measurement.

It puts the burden on "the market" - us users - to police the forums.
That would work if you assume that the users will do the right thing. That's usually not the case, particularly with a small user base.

And in this particularly case, it is definitely not the case: however irritating / unfocused / off-putting the particular user's posts may be to some of us, they are not offensive, indecent, unlawful, ... Sure, they may not fit some pre-conceived standards, but who are we to say that our "standards" are the ones that others have to follow, as there could be perfect cultural / language / other reasons for the posts to be what they are.

Each of us is different and we should appreciate the "eccentricity" of such diversity -> I would find it extremely boring to talk to people who echo my views for example. The attractiveness of the internet is to see others' and often differing perspectives - I may not agree with that all the time but from time to time I find that interesting.

Tyranny is bad, especially tyranny of the majority.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
A dislike button allows cliques to form and it becomes a popularity site.

I've never asked the mods here but I know in another forum, some constantly complained about another user. The always took the contemporary usage of words as the only possible meaning. They finally managed to get the forum administrator to ban this individual and then crawled back in their hole, never participating until that member was reinstated ... Only to complain about that user once again.

It's a vicious circle.

My advise is, if you don't like a poster, you have three options. 1. Ignore them. 2. Use the ignore filter to ignore them. 3. Leave the forum.

Some do not have the willpower to use option 1.

If your looking for sympathy, it's between shit and syphliss In the dictionary.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That would work if you assume that the users will do the right thing.
I'm happy to let the environment here be dictated by the users here. I have faith in them.

But of course the tyranny belongs solely to the owner of the forum. This is not a democracy.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Another day, another littany of complaints about RK. Our position on him and any other member snould be pretty clear by now. If not, reread posts 6 and 29, including Wendy's link. Those describe the position of the mods. We get it. You don't like RK. Noted. Now reread @JoeJester at 27. Those are your options. I left the colorful language in place on purpose... Its ironic that posts sniping about RK clutter themselves clutter up far too many threads. Get over it.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

I've never asked the mods here but I know in another forum, some constantly complained about another user. The always took the contemporary usage of words as the only possible meaning. They finally managed to get the forum administrator to ban this individual and then crawled back in their hole, never participating until that member was reinstated ... Only to complain about that user once again.

It's a vicious circle.

My advise is, if you don't like a poster, you have three options. 1. Ignore them. 2. Use the ignore filter to ignore them. 3. Leave the forum.

I both like the idea of a dislike button and hate it. It depends on how it is used. Stack Overflow has a rating system for each thread. Other members can give you a + or - on a post. Your reputation rating is based off of those ratings. Those guys are really rough. You have to be extremely concise in your post, be 100% on topic and be 100% certain your answer could have not be found in a Google search. I have been a software engineer for about twenty years now. I know how to effectively phrase a question when it is programming related. But on rare occasion I will get a negative rating because I did not provide exactly the right information or in the group's decision is considered off topic. One question they hate is the "should I do it this way or that way" type of questions. That for sure will get you a negative rating. You have to have a really thick skin when posting there.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

It's a vicious circle.

The ignore feature is really no an option because you are still going to see the same thread popping up as people respond. I would like to have the option to ignore threads a blocked person starts.

Leaving the forum because of the behavior of one or two members is not a fair option either. One or two users should not be able to monopolize the forum with questions that could easily be looked up. And questions should be posted in an intelligent enough way that they could be answered. While I greatly appreciate all of the hassle the moderators need to go through in maintaining the forum, I think if they want only civil posts then they also need to become more strict on those that don't live up to the spirit of the forum.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE: This thread is being closed because, when all is said and done, the primary purpose for starting it or riding along has been to complain about another member. It might be worth taking a moment to consider that, for all that you find RK's threads and questions annoying, he has almost never lashed out in response to the myriad personal attacks that have been laid against him. How many of us, myself included, can make that claim?

Ignore him, report him, but do not bash him publicly.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Leaving the forum because of the behavior of one or two members is not a fair option either.
Life isn't fair and it's an option for the member.

My comments in the previous post was in a forum where English is the dominate language and very, very few foreign nationals visited.

Now, with this being an international community, there is an allowance for English as a nth language. If you see the interaction between RK and HP, you will see that the language between RK and most of the membership is the defining metric.

RK frustrated me over at ETO and I stopped responding to him. My frustration included thinking he was just "messing" with me based on the context of the questions. The interaction here at AAC made me realize it was a language issue.

Take a chill pill, and try not to get too upset.

If your a drinker, get your best bottle of whiskey and drink a shot every time you get upset at RK. You will accomplish something ... but remember ... do not drink and keystroke. We might be making comments on your language skills. :)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I really can't tell if he is genuine or just messing with us most of the time. But he does have time to post everything he reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.