I just bought a laminator. Any tips?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
What temperature do you consider done? Medium Rare, Well done? How many degrees on the board at output do you look for?

Trying to save passes here is all.
I can't remember as that was in the early testing, but I used the temperature it said on the packet of press'n'peel blue, actually a few degrees less as the PCB cools very rapidly once it leaves the rollers (where I was measuring it). After a few goes I had the thermostat trimpot dialled in and then it's just a matter of feeding the PCB a few times, maybe 6 to 8 times, depends a bit on PCB size.

I think it's better to feed multiple times anyway as it allows the whole thing (board and toner/paper) to come up to temperature together. At < 10 seconds a feed it's still quick enough.

When originally I used an iron and tried to get the iron hot enough to work quickly I found problems with smearing and PCB warping etc, so I set up the laminator to work a bit slower and need multiple feeds.

If anyone is using a hot laminator that only needs 1 or 2 feeds I would really like to hear if they problems with PCB warping, or with smudging caused by uneven thermal expansion of PCB or paper etc.

EB255GTX

Joined Apr 30, 2011
........If anyone is using a hot laminator that only needs 1 or 2 feeds I would really like to hear if they problems with PCB warping, or with smudging caused by uneven thermal expansion of PCB or paper etc.
I can get away with 3 passes reliably - more than the one or two you are looking for but I do always wonder when I see people mention 8,9,10 + feeds....

Would be interesting to work out if many passes at lower temp is the same as a few at higher - in my view less passes is less chances to snag an edge or drop the board or whatever other handling error might occur.

FWIW I have never had warpage issues or anything like that, BUT as I posted earlier on this thread - or it may have been a very similar one - I use 0.8mm (1/32") copperclad for many reasons, and maybe that is helping with the whole process of using a laminator.

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
With the success of toner transfer, I am surprised no one has come up with a printer that prints direct to copper or at least a hack of a laserjet.
As others mentioned, direct Inkjet-to-PCB has been done a number of times (you need the proper type of pigmented ink -- there are many types that won't work at all).

But, contrary to some comments above, it is possible to do direct laser printing to PCB. Mark Lerman has done it: Homebrew_PCBs thread. Photos. Hack a Day post.

He says was able to produce 2 mil traces!

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I can get away with 3 passes reliably - more than the one or two you are looking for but I do always wonder when I see people mention 8,9,10 + feeds....
FWIW I have never had warpage issues or anything like that, BUT as I posted earlier on this thread - or it may have been a very similar one - I use 0.8mm (1/32") copperclad for many reasons, and maybe that is helping with the whole process of using a laminator.
Thanks for the info! :)

I think with 0.8mm thick PCB mine would only take 3 passes too, that would heat up a lot quicker than 1.6mm board does.