I hope my self inflicted slacker period will soon be over

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by t06afre, Sep 7, 2013.

1. t06afre

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Hello all after some period off this forum I hope to be back. I had to admit that i was very tired of this forum in July. Sudden it was not fun any more. No one inpartickular to blame for that. I just felt used up and washed out. So I decided to take some time off this forum. During this period I had a prolapsed disc. That made it very hard for me to sit and work at a computer for long periods at time. That would irritate a nerve. And the result was first pain in my leg. And then the leg would numb away. So my computer time was quite limited. And I had no time for any forum. The funny thing about this was that most other thing was ok to do. Like walking, riding a bike, fishing. Even playing a game of squash. But anyway the symptoms has eased off gradually over last weeks. So I will have time check in now and then

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I hope your spine is ok by now, though you never really get completely healed. It's a terrible spot to have an injury. The worst part is that it tingles your nerves, making you feel pain which in turns translates to anger, without you having an actual reason to be angry.

Did you actually miss AAC? Do we need to start up a detox wing?

3. t06afre

May 11, 2009
    I have only kind of missed the forum during the past weeks. I missed Loosewires columns, and his views about about the world. My first time off this forum was just a relief.

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Just a personal observation. Seems like even the most active and normally patient members get into a mood or "low" period. The forum descends into finger pointing and rants. Then, a member (no one in particular) will start replying in a normal manner and Life us Good!

Anyone else observe this cycle? I think it's not an unusual one for groups.

5. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    I wondered where you'd go...

In a former workplace, one coworker had the same issue in the back. He loved fishing, and the doctors said that he should walk in the forest for hours and do the things he liked. He went fishing, and came back after a few days or weeks feeling like a new person.

My gf had a surgery for it.

Welcome back.

6. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    "The worst part is that it tingles your nerves, making you feel pain which in turns translates to anger."

I am living proof, that this is not true for everybody, just some people.;)

I'm getting pretty good at this 30+ year old "pain game".

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I have been suffering from C5-C6 cervical herniated disc problems for over 10 years now, diagnosed as originating from bad posture while computing.

Yes folks! Too much computing is dangerous to your health (and personal relationships)!

Many months of physiotherapy, heating pads, new chairs, proper exercises and paying attention to posture has made me almost as new.

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    T06 ,good to hear from you ,sorry you are having a problem with nerves in back

and legs. The good part ,the nerve pain can go away. I have times when the leg

nerve give problem ,it go away and I come stronger than ever. Don't let them cut

on you ,that can make it worsted. Get a waist band to wear tight ,that seems to

help. Walking will help more than you think ,and do biking as long as it don't hurt.

Keep in touch.

9. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    He has something like this, already...:D

[​IMG]

shortbus likes this.
  10. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    At 24 years old I herniated two lumbar spine disks, spent 17 days in traction. Wore a back brace for about 10 years and then calcium deposits fused the discs together. Stopped wearing the brace, but had pain when every I lifted something too heavy or the wrong way. And constant sciatica in right leg.

Kept seeing ads for the Teeter Hang-up, inversion table, but had spent so much money over the years on stuff that doesn't work was afraid it would be the same. On another forum guys were telling how good they felt after buying an inversion table I finally bought one. Just a cheap one not the Teeter. Boy what a god send. After three 5 minute sessions over three days the sciatica was completely gone and no back pain any more. Now I use it maybe once or twice a week. Not trying to sell them to you but they do work.

Metalmann likes this.
  11. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I use the waist band that has vel-crow ,it helps. I can go week ,months it all

depends without hurting. Then sometimes you get a double ,you think you will

never walk good again...then its gone. The gang that could not walk straight.

12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I have never heard of an inversion table until now.
    Makes a lot of sense.

shortbus likes this.
  13. t06afre

May 11, 2009
    For me using my bike was very useful. Just after 15 minutes of bike riding the pain in my leg was and the numbness would be practicaly gone. And after about one hour it was as new

14. Delaj

Aug 12, 2013
    Oh man, back problems are the worst. I hope you're feeling better now though. I know how you feel though, when your back hurts sitting at a desk can be one of the least appealing past time. Hope you find your interest in the forum renewed.

15. happyganl

Dec 17, 2009
    Welcome back,I like your post!:D

16. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    At 50 I had two blown discs and three damaged vertebra and have been seeing a chronic pain Dr for 4+ years. Narcotics will take the edge off, but in order to relieve it completely you have to give up some freedom and become a little duller and not quite as sharp as you were before the meds. So I just keep the pain below an 8 as much as I can and don't even try to completely remove it. That much Oxycodone could probably kill a grown elephant.... I feel fer ya bud, but exercise and a teeter hang up may indeed be the best treatment going right now. The surgery has a notoriously low success rate anyway....

Wheelchair Bob

shortbus likes this.