I have no idea what I am doing!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tempneff, Aug 11, 2012.

1. tempneff

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Hey all, I know next to nothing. :D

I am playing around with a music responding LED circuit in a car (I know this is overdone). I want to get some feedback on my drawing (its my first one)

There are a couple unknowns though. I am using 6 led strips but I don't know anything about them. Each has 4 colors and 6 lights per color. These are tiny square lights (a couple of mm). Like this;[​IMG]

I do know that they can hook up directly to a car battery without apparant damage :) In fact I hooked up all six with no problem. What I don't know is if it will burn up my transistor tip31

I am trying to switch the colors individually. I am also trying to use illuminated switches,
    Here is my circuit (one leg of it) - be gentle :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    any "auto" modifications that can cause driver distraction is not allowed to be discussed on this forum...... so I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets shut down..... :)

3. tempneff

Aug 11, 2012
    I whole heartedly agree with that policy! In this case however the vehicle is a non-op its used for car show purposes only. :cool:

Any constructive criticism on the circuit?

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    We don't differentiate between road-legal autos and "show only"; we don't support any automotive modification topics at all. Adding LEDs to your vehicle can negatively impact your safety. Safety is a primary concern on these Forums.

Here is a link to some suggested "automotive modification friendly" forums:
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400
    Perhaps you will find one or more of them that will entertain your discussion.

5. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Well the circuit does not need to be inside a car to work.

Isn't automotive something that has do to with a cars functionality?

For instance FM transmitter is not automotive they can be used without car, even if they are often used within cars, or sold for this purpose.

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    FM transmitter , and blinking LED lights are 2 completely different things, especially when the op already stated he wants the LED's to go to the beat of the music in a car....

as for the OP, there are already pre made modules you can purchase at any automotive store for this type of thing..... or on the net, why "re invent the wheel" so to speak, especially if this is something for a show car, I could just see it now, in the middle of a huge showing and your "home-made" led circuits fail on you, or worse yet, catch something on fire...... as for the off the shelf versions, as long as you wire them up correctly, you shouldn't have to worry.... just saying....:cool:

7. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I have not yet observed mysterious LED burnout (or wires bursting into flames), powering LED circuits from CR2032 batteries. But of course, unrelated.

The first post also is not clear, there is no transistor. If it does not burn up, it does not burn up. On the other hand, if it burns up, it burns up.

What can forum members do when they just see this drawing.

8. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    The "TIP31" LED driver circuit on Instructables and on another website was designed by a 10 years old kid who knows NOTHING about electronics.
    It can easily destroy the music source, TIP31 transistor or LEDs. It might destroy all of them.
    It can easily start a fire!

9. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    What you say in response does not make any sense with the conversation going on, why would you talk about CR2032 battery powered LED's when the op is discussing automotive electronics that would run off of a cars battery?? And the OP does mention a TIP31 which as far as I know is a TRANSISTOR....

10. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Yes. It does not make sense. That is absolutely correct.

I want the OP to see how much sense it makes to mention a TIP31, and then show some incomplete drawing. From which it is totally impossible to give an answer, if the TIP31 will burn out. Because said TIP31 is not shown in the drawing.

For instance, how can forum readers know the LED specification?

I don't know how a conversation can become established that makes sense.

Unless this information is actually added.

Automotive or not makes no difference, since this device can be used outside a car, and independent from a car.

IF the OP has questions about specific problems wiring 12V batteries inside cars, the topic is not allowed at all. It's automotive. It is however also possible to use a 12V battery indepently from a car.

11. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    You seem to like to rant about useless topics that do not even have anything to do with the OP's post (not just in this thread but others)..... any kind of "Automotive" modifications is not allowed period.... Read the TOS, then come back and try to argue the point some more.

12. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    So, an one-line reference is a rant already.

It has something to do with it. As many people on numerous forums are paranoid about LEDs burning out.

I say, if they burn out, they burn out, if they don't burn out, they actually don't burn out.

Being hypothetical they may burn out is not very helpful.

The thread is a bit weird yes. If the TIP31 burns out then change it to something that does not burn out.

I am only interested actually to find a solution.

I have also understood from numerous "automotive" replies, that it can be allowed if the circuit has nothing to do with actual vehicle operation (i.E. driving, braking, navigation, traffic signalling, etc). And especially if it also can be used without an actual car.

Think backwards- you can take a car bulb and use it for SMPS testing- not automotive at all.

13. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Here is the horrible Instructables circuit:

14. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

You just don't get it..... That could be the case, but in this case it was referred to as being used in a car (which can be a distraction to the driver if used while vehicle is being driven, which can cause accidents and could hurt or possibly kill someone, if you want to take the responsibility of having this on your conscience then get a hold of him outside this forum and help him do so), and the title of the thread explicitly states he does not know what he is doing..... so point is mute.

If he would have said that he would like to blink some LED's to music in his living room, that would be a different story.

the mods should just lock this thread anyway, it is pointless to have to argue with you.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  15. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    No problem. Maybe you don't get it either.

I don't oppose closing the thread. There is not much depth, inspiring new innovation or a big degree of interestingness. Trivial circuit.

Thread title is no good and threads having titles like this should be closed immediately.

16. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    +1 Exactly

takao21203 likes this.
  17. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Yes. How about if I only had replied with that single line?

I wrote more detailed replies because I oppose silencing people without a chance of further explanation.

Sometimes this is frowned upon as ranting, even disruption.

I could change my communications very easily, towards giving single line judgements.

Same like this assembler discussion. I could simply write a single line reply: "Don't use it". I took the efforts and piled up many pages of argumentation. What was the gain? People shooting the messenger...

18. tempneff

Aug 11, 2012
    wow. It always cracks me up when uber-members (of any forum) get all self righteous and/or self important. Some forums are worse then others. This one is obviously primed for ego.

This is my first impression of 'all about circuits' maybe the forum should be called 'all about who needs reassurance' or 'all about why i have too much time on my hands' or 'all about why i'm just waiting for someone to say something stupid so I can chime in and sound smart'....I could go on.

19. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Too much time on my hands?
    I have so many things to do but not enough time in each day.

But I am a retired old geezer and every day is a Saturday so I do whatever I want whenever I want.

There are more than "a few" old geezers here. We are experienced. Some of us are smartie pants (geeks).:D

20. tempneff

Aug 11, 2012
    I can appreciate the old geezers here. You can always get an aura of class from their posts. I didn't mean you. Some others like to forget that we cannot ALL know about everything.

Seems like you have a vendetta against this 10yr old though.

from www.electro-tech-online.com
    [​IMG]