I have had a stroke

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Sorry. Don't buy it.

You said, "Perhaps I assumed Wendy's post was on the general subject of health problems rather than reporting that she had suffered a catastrophic medical event."

How can you then say that you understand the message in Wendy's title and her post when the title of the thread was, "I have had a stroke," and Wendy's post was, "Subject line says it all so it will be awhile before I will be able to come back to this thread due to the fact that I am very disabled at this time."

Does that REALLY sound, in even the slightest possible way, like she might have been making a post "on the general subject of health problems rather than reporting that she had suffered a catastrophic medical event"?

And do you really expect us to buy that the your notion that fact that every single reply prior to yours was very explicitly saying how sorry people were to hear this news and wishing her well and a speedy recovery left it cloudy and ambiguous as to what the general theme of the thread was and what types of comments were to be expected in subsequent posts?

Really?

I'm just hoping that Wendy will chuckle when she is well enough to see this -- I suspect she will.
Let's just spare Wendy the grief of seeing my posts and all the other ensuing hullaballoos that invariably seem to break out on this board.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I now know that any personal info definitely does NOT belong on AAC.
Basically, personal information does not belong on The Internet. I reported when I had a back injury because I knew certain people who would wonder...maybe even worry. What I didn't do was post my misery on somebody else's Thread. Now you have a Thread all your own. You can tell all about your health problems in your own space.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Just as a point of info, I recall this old post by Wendy:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/a-confession-and-an-outing.112679/#post-873448

Recalling that Wendy openly related her story about being transgender on AAC, I thought it might also be fair game to post my story about dealing with skin cancer.

However, I've learned my lesson the hard way and I now know that any personal info definitely does NOT belong on AAC.

It is fair game. Just make your own thread about it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Just as a point of info, I recall this old post by Wendy:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/a-confession-and-an-outing.112679/#post-873448

Recalling that Wendy openly related her story about being transgender on AAC, I thought it might also be fair game to post my story about dealing with skin cancer.

However, I've learned my lesson the hard way and I now know that any personal info definitely does NOT belong on AAC.
You clearly aren't learning the proper lessons. If you want to post your story, that's fine. Just don't hijack someone else's thread, particularly a thread like this, to do it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you want to post your story, that's fine. Just don't hijack someone else's thread, particularly a thread like this, to do it.
I'm very happy that you changed the title of this Thread. At first glance, I thought, "I have had a stork" meant a birth in the family. When I realized what the misspelling was about, the severity of the injury really hit home.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm very happy that you changed the title of this Thread. At first glance, I thought, "I have had a stork" meant a birth in the family. When I realized what the misspelling was about, the severity of the injury really hit home.
You can thank Bertus for that. He changed it a couple hours after your first response and a full day before I saw the thread.

Subject line says it all so it will be awhile before I will be able to come back to this thread due to the fact that I am very disabled at this time.
Best wishes for a rapid, uneventful, convalescence! -- In the meantime we'll miss our 'patron saint' on the EHT thread:(

Most sincerely
HP

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Wish you a speedy recovery. Since you were able to post, you can fully recover from this, it just takes determination which we all know you have.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Wish you a speedy recovery. Since you were able to post, you can fully recover from this, it just takes determination which we all know you have.
While I am definitely hopeful and optimistic that she can fully recover, the ability to post isn't much of an indicator either way. When I had my little event about eight years ago, I was able to type an e-mail right during the stroke even though I couldn't hold a set of keys in my right hand (too heavy -- they just dropped right out) and couldn't speak (well, I could make sounds and my mind thought I was saying something but my ears heard nothing but random syllables and gibberish).

@Wendy: If this is your first stroke, take it as a very serious warning sign. The research I did after my TIA was very mind opening. If the underlying reasons are left untreated, there is a very, very high chance of having a significantly worse stroke within a year. In my case the underlying cause was a hole in my heart, which has now been repaired. I had to take a lot of tests before we found that. So be sure to take whatever tests you need to in order to figure out what the most likely cause was so that it can be properly treated.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Does this site have any protocol for running a "wellness check" on a member that hasn't been seen for a while? I'm sure the admins can do it, but I'm just wondering if it's ad hoc or if there is some process.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Not sure how this would work but I was thinking that maybe we could get her a get well card and each menber could sign it and the last person sent it to her????

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Does this site have any protocol for running a "wellness check" on a member that hasn't been seen for a while? I'm sure the admins can do it, but I'm just wondering if it's ad hoc or if there is some process.
It would be very difficult. About all the hard information an admin has is an e-mail address. So let's say that I stop posting because (a) I get in a car crash and am in a coma for a month, or (b) I go backpacking in the wilderness for a month (and forgot or didn't think to make an announcement here). About all an admin could do would be to send me an e-mail and, in either case, I probably wouldn't respond.

So it's going to be a very ad hoc process in which someone notices a person has gone MIA and probably sends them a private message first and then perhaps posts something in Off Topic. After that, someone else that knows the person external to AAC might then become aware and be in a position to explore the situation further (and perhaps report back).