i have a problem with tip 31 transistor

poliguaco34

Joined Jun 6, 2014
iam using a tip 31 power transistor to make a simple fan circuit where iam using on the base 5v adaptor with 800ma full range current
and connecting on the collector the 12v supply
and on the base iam adding a resistor of 10k and connecting to the ground and parrallel to it iam adding my motor
my probleeem is that the transistor output is only 2.45 volt and the fan doesnt want to work

Attachments

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Are you trying to make a switch?

Typical switch configuration places the device you want to turn ON between power supply and collector.

You have the device in parallel with emitter resistor. I am not sure why you did it that way.

poliguaco34

Joined Jun 6, 2014
sry but i dont know how to connect as this connection one of my freinds told me about so can you pls tell me the right way to use transistor as switch (or isolator)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Your original circuit is an emitter follower so the maximum output voltage is about 0.7V less than the voltage applied to the base.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you connect the fan between collector and positive rail you will also need a reverse-biased diode in parallel with the fan, to suppress back-emf voltage spikes when the transistor switches off.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hola Gopher,

What program did you use for drawing?
"iCircuit" for the iPad. It is a simulation software with generic components and some customization for each. I paid something like 6 or 10 USD for it. I usually use free versions but this one is fairly nice. I used it for discussions and quick examples when I was helping with the tech clubs at my sons' high school.