I hate linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4yh3m

Joined Apr 28, 2004
honestly, take it as you want. when i have people telling me what i don't need to do, and how i shouldn't be doing this but that -- which has nothing to do with the two clearly defined questions i posted, i'll resort to the non-candy coated approach. like i said, two pages of people telling me that i need to find a n easier version of linux, that i don't need to be messing with the boot manager, etc. etc. and completely avoiding the questions -- that i've reposted over and over -- it takes a little more to get the point across. maybe when you ask a question and are given nothing but opinions for answers instead of useful information pertaining to the question, you'll understand.

A recap as to why the responses were hostile, since it seems there is selective reading:

"How do I do 1. ___ and 2. ___"
"You don't need to be messing with those"
"Use a different version of linux that will work"
"It's outdated and you should be installing XP first"
"That's not my question... refer to 1 and 2"
"*repeat responses*"
"Answer the questions, not give your opinions"
"get off your soapbox"

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
If you don't mind me asking, what is the importance behind using Slackware? Also, have you tried a slackware forum yet? No sense bothering here if you can just post your question in one of the many ones out there dedicated to that specific OS.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the importance behind using Slackware? Also, have you tried a slackware forum yet? No sense bothering here if you can just post your question in one of the many ones out there dedicated to that specific OS.
Very good question! I'm sure he DOES mind you asking ;) Based on his name, he's l33t (an elite hacker) or he wants us to think that. Now he's just trying to be cool by using one of the most unfriendly distros available. I used Slackware religiously from 98 to 05 and still use it sometimes for special projects. It's great for newbies that are open minded and want to learn a lot about the OS. For the newbies that are looking for a Windows clone, they should look elsewhere. If he wants to pursue his dreams of becoming a Slackware Linux haxor, the best place to ask questions is on usenet in alt.os.linux.slackware (aols) or on the ##slackware channel in IRC. People won't be as nice as we have been in here but it seems the masochist in him enjoys a heavy hand.

m4yh3m

Joined Apr 28, 2004
Slackware is more command line specific. I wanted to try running these things without the use of a GUI to see how performance is. The only problem lays with getting it to boot up - dual or regular. But if I can get the boot sector from it, I can just dump it on the boot menu and load it that way, hence the repetition of "how do i access it". The only problem is: Nobody had answered my question. They *were* willing to tell me I needed an easier version of linux to use, or I didn't need to access the MBR, etc. etc.

How's that working out for you, TastesLikeChicken? You know...the whole "being witty" thing. Glad you enjoy my username so much. Wasn't aware it instantly made me a "l33t h4x0r", but if you want to be simple minded and jump to conclusions, that's your prerogative. Being cool requires the use of specific linux distros? Who knew? Here I was thinking it was the most job-specific distro for my needs, but instead I was really trying to be cool. Wow. Coolness on a forum. I'm glad there's always someone like yourself to point these things out, the world would be lost without you.

Let me let you in on this little secret though before you start trying to spout out other mediums for information gathering -- all the geniuses in the world are absolutely worthless if they can't ignore the minor details and focus on the main point. I guess it's more fun to chime in with irrelevant information than it is to say "hey, i know the answer to this question" or "no, i don't know the answer to this question". If I asked you "Why is the sky blue?" you'd retort with "The sky isn't blue at night, so you need to pay more attention to the clouds." Oh, that's very helpful!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I think this thread has run its course.

m4yh3m, I think your query is best addressed to an expert Linux community who will have better knowledge and understanding of the issues you describe more than the casual Linux user here at AAC. I will lock this thread, please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this or request the thread be reopened.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.