I found this power supply circuit online, it's wrong though right?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RyanD, Jan 16, 2010.

1. RyanD

Thread Starter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    If it's not wrong then I need someone to explain how the power line can connect directly to the ground and not short out.

2. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    The input is shorted to ground by a wire that is supposed to be a 100nF capacitor.

The input ground, the ground pin of the regulator and the output ground are connected together.

3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    What you have shown is a voltage regulator circuit using a very common component. It does not take power line voltage as an input. As you can see from your drawing, it will accept from 8 volts to 18 volts DC as an input and provide 5 volts DC as a regulated output. That voltage may come from batteries or a transformer driven rectifier circuit.

The ground symbol represents a point that is common to both the input and output of this circuit. Other components in this circuit provide a means of turning it on or off, an indicator that it is on, and filtering to make the DC signal as steady as possible.

On edit.... Thanks Audioguru... I totally missed the solid. When you see a diagram like that the mind sometimes puts things in place that aren't really there......

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    The short is definitely an error in the schematic.

hgmjr

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

This is probably what they intended to have as a schematic:

[​IMG]

The short is replaced by the 100 nF capacitor.

Greetings,
    Bertus

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The internet is full of wrong information. I've pulled some boners myself, and posted stuff that didn't work.