I found this power supply circuit online, it's wrong though right?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The input is shorted to ground by a wire that is supposed to be a 100nF capacitor.

The input ground, the ground pin of the regulator and the output ground are connected together.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
What you have shown is a voltage regulator circuit using a very common component. It does not take power line voltage as an input. As you can see from your drawing, it will accept from 8 volts to 18 volts DC as an input and provide 5 volts DC as a regulated output. That voltage may come from batteries or a transformer driven rectifier circuit.

The ground symbol represents a point that is common to both the input and output of this circuit. Other components in this circuit provide a means of turning it on or off, an indicator that it is on, and filtering to make the DC signal as steady as possible.

On edit.... Thanks Audioguru... I totally missed the solid. When you see a diagram like that the mind sometimes puts things in place that aren't really there......

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The internet is full of wrong information. I've pulled some boners myself, and posted stuff that didn't work.